8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Johnson Glanvill Sound Striper

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Johnson Glanvill Sound Striper
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2019 09:17 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to strip a 200ft film yesterday with this device
 -
but upon finishing I noticed the glue in the area where it picks up the glue and applies it to the film (circled in red) was turning color it turns out the container that holds the glue is made out of plastic and the glue was breaking down the plastic almost melting it, my question is why would they make it plastic and not metal or glass? the first 10 ft of magnetic tape stuck well but the rest touch and go, i think the glue was not as effective with plastic mixed in with it. anybody got any ideas on what one can use to replace the small container?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see 電o I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2019 09:28 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim, I've used a striper with a similar plastic holder. The adhesive should not be affecting it. What kind of "glue" are you using...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2019 11:40 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi joe I bought some glue from the website at the bottom of this bottle.
 -

--------------------
jim schrader

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2019 12:58 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like the right adhesive for acetate, so I don't know why it's melting the plastic [Confused]

Try contacting Ralf at FFR and maybe he can help...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2019 02:38 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has nail varnish remover in it to thin the glue to aid application to the film, its the acetone that attacks some plastics and melts them, like the glue for model aeroplanes in a bottle, it has a sweet peardrops smell.....

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2019 06:53 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After letting it sit overnight one can see how bad it ate away at the plastic I did pick at it to try to clean it out am going to need to find a small glass or metal one to replace it.
 -

--------------------
jim schrader

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2019 12:09 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the hardware store this morning and looked for something small enough to work I decided on a 2" piece of copper pipe cut it and flattened it out, measured it up cut it up and bent it into a similar shape and soldered the gaps up.
 -
and here it is next to the original.
 -
its slightly shorter than the original but fits nicely and hopefully will hold the glue, unless acetone has a chemical reaction with copper?

--------------------
jim schrader

Derek Dorking
Junior

- posted January 27, 2019 12:04 PM      Profile for Derek Dorking   Email Derek Dorking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, A very good solution!. I was going to suggest either cutting the top off a model airplane tin fuel tank of similar size or cut a panel out of a tobacco tin and solder up. The plastic tank on my old one use to white up but never melted, so could just be age related. Most rubber clad handgrips on cameras and the like are breaking down after 20 years or so.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2019 02:31 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, I would like to know if you plan on film stripping other peoples films? I think it would be a good Business! Let me know!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 27, 2019 05:00 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can we get the magnetic stripe nowadays other than buying from Ebay which normally one listing has only a small quantity.

--------------------
Winbert

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2019 03:59 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert I believe the place that sold me the glue sells the tape check and see. I found several rolls on ebay that I bought up.

--------------------
jim schrader

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 28, 2019 08:09 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, if the said tape is exactly the same material with reel to reel tape, I would be convinced it is rather safe, due to exessive supply of R2R tape (used or brandnew). They just need to slit it according to the size, don't they? Anybody knows?

--------------------
Winbert

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2019 12:19 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, your PM is full! Please check! Leon.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC