8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » JAWS and JAWS 2 on Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JAWS and JAWS 2 on Super 8
Robert Statzer
Junior

- posted January 23, 2019 02:46 PM      Profile for Robert Statzer   Email Robert Statzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question for wiser minds than mine about the Universal 8 releases. Was JAWS only released in 200' and 800' editions (like BUCK ROGERS), or was there a 400' release? After all these years, I don't think I've ever seen a 400' of the original. As for JAWS 2, I don't think I've ever seen it offered as anything but a 400' edition. Did it have 200' or 800' versions? I know there wasn't always a similar approach to titles with a similar theme at Universal 8. (Such as BATTLESTAR GALACTICA available as 400' and 800', but I seem to recall MISSION GALACTICA was 800' only.)

Thanks in advance for any information and enlightenment!

--------------------
BijouBob8mm

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 23, 2019 03:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert

I had a quick look through my old Universal 8 catalog.

JAWS...was released as a 200footer, also as PT1 7010, PT2 7011...that's 2/400FT.

JAWS 2 as a single 1/400ft....4244..Cineavision also released that single 400 footer as a Scope print.

Mission Galactica....PT1 7030 PT2 7031....only.. thats 2/400ft

That's all I can find out regarding those films so you are right.

Its a pity so much of Universal 8 films are fading as the digests, in general, although short on the running times were good edits

Robert Statzer
Junior

- posted January 23, 2019 03:42 PM      Profile for Robert Statzer   Email Robert Statzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, thanks for the confirmation/clarification. I may end up mounting that 200' JAWS and 400' JAWS 2 onto a 600' reel. I've had a couple of copies of JAWS over the years, with color quality varying. The last copy I got had a little poster folded up inside promoting that Universal 8 was releasing JAWS to Super 8. Don't know if that was in all of those, or if it came from somewhere else and the previous owner simply tucked it inside the box. Need to pick up a frame for it.

Curiously, my 400' BATTLESTAR GALACTICA has aged better than my 800' copy. Last time I saw it, Steve Osborne's 800' GALACTICA was still in pretty sweet shape. Kind of hit & miss on Universal 8 titles. I've got the 400' and 800' editions of 1979's DRACULA that I need to trot out and check, as I've not watched them in about 3 years or so. Last time around, the color was still good.

[ January 23, 2019, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Robert Statzer ]

--------------------
BijouBob8mm

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 24, 2019 12:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was also a VERY rare (as it wasn't released over here, but was overseas, and it's still rarely seen) 2X400ft release of "Galactica 1980" No kidding, they actually bothered to release this real mess, and the edit of this 30 minute release was fairly poor. I had this and was surprised as to how bad it was. Color was OK, ironically.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Statzer
Junior

- posted January 24, 2019 12:22 PM      Profile for Robert Statzer   Email Robert Statzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Maybe someone could get a decent 50' out of GALACTICA 1980. Maybe! What a sad fate for the franchise.

--------------------
BijouBob8mm

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 24, 2019 07:43 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert - the JAWS poster you have was an official 'free gift' that came with the 200' edition, so it's very desirable to have this and the film in the original box.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 24, 2019 07:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 400ft 3D version of Creature From The Black Lagoon also came with a printed fold out describing the movie and the 3D anaglyphic process used for the S8 digest print.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Robert Statzer
Junior

- posted January 25, 2019 09:36 AM      Profile for Robert Statzer   Email Robert Statzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, thanks for the heads-up.

Paul, my 3-D CREATURE was at least second-hand, if not third, so the poster was long gone. (Even the 3-D glasses I have for it are not originals, but at least the print is still great.)

--------------------
BijouBob8mm

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC