8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Recently scored a couple of obscure Castle titles - Scrooge & Alice.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recently scored a couple of obscure Castle titles - Scrooge & Alice.
Robert Statzer
Junior

- posted January 25, 2019 09:53 AM      Profile for Robert Statzer   Email Robert Statzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Headline editions, alas, but still nice finds. Before their digest of Paramount's 1933 ALICE IN WONDERLAND, Castle had offered the 1949 Lou Bunin version that combined stop-motion characters with a live-action Alice (played by Carol Marsh, probably best-known for playing "Lucy" in the original DRACULA/HORROR OF DRACULA from Hammer).

-

And while I knew Castle had offered a digest of the classic 1951 A CHRISTMAS CAROL (aka SCROOGE) with Alastair Sim years before the 400' sound digest from Columbia, I never thought I'd ever get my hands on one.

-

--------------------
BijouBob8mm

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 25, 2019 10:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Castle #830, a 16mm sound copy of "A Christmas Carol", a 400ft released between 1952 and 1957.
A real challenge for the editor to reduce the nine reel film into a short running just eight minutes, and quite comprehensible at that.

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 25, 2019 10:23 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Statz, those are rare ones, keep searching and you'll find the 200' edition on "Alice" - I still need 2 more travelogues to complete - Shorty

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2019 10:36 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 200' version of Alice, shorty!
How rare is it? It is a pretty neat version from what i recall when viewing it. It's been a while though... I have hoppalong cassidy in castle as well i believe...

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Robert Statzer
Junior

- posted January 25, 2019 10:46 AM      Profile for Robert Statzer   Email Robert Statzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've got Castle #830, a 16mm sound copy of "A Christmas Carol", a 400ft released between 1952 and 1957.
A real challenge for the editor to reduce the nine reel film into a short running just eight minutes, and quite comprehensible at that.

I take my hat off to the editor that did the 400' digest of Hitchcock's NORTH BY NORTHWEST. I wouldn't have thought it possible until John Hourigan showed me his copy.

--------------------
BijouBob8mm

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 26, 2019 09:40 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALICE is a hard title to get, as it has film culled from the 1933 film itself (always found it a bit scary as a kid) - Hoppys are tough to locate in those original flaptop boxes - I'm down to my last 7 before closing the door on Castle Films - Shorty

Robert Statzer
Junior

- posted January 28, 2019 03:20 PM      Profile for Robert Statzer   Email Robert Statzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd had the Castle release of Paramount's 1933 ALICE for years (200' Complete Edition); finding their previous release of the 1949 Bunin version has been quite a challenge, even in this 50' Headline edition. (I've got the complete film from a VHS release of years ago, which mistakenly lists it as a Puppetoon film, even though George Pal had nothing to do with it.) Yeah, Shorty, some of those creatures are still a bit creepy.

--------------------
BijouBob8mm

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC