8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Is Ordinary Cardboard Safe For Storage?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Ordinary Cardboard Safe For Storage?
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2019 04:04 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a number of 1200' reels without boxes to put them in. I have discovered that postage boxes designed to post 2 or 3 vinyl Lp's are a perfect size to use. However, the cardboard is the bog standard brown rough type as opposed to normal film storage boxes which are more refined.

Are there any unseen dangers to film being stored in these lower quality boxes?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2019 09:16 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, I've been storing my features in those LP shipping boxes for many years and haven't had any problems. They still allow ventilation even though they are thicker, and keep the dust out. Of course the high quality ones are nice, but more expensive. I recently bought some of the 800' boxes from a UK seller. The price would be good if not for the postage cost to the USA...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 13, 2019 05:42 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, go with the cardboard whether for vinyl or standard issue for films. I also have had no troubles in condition - While I have some films in metal cans/reels (7), I air them frequently and still no problems - Still looking for RKo short - See you at Blackpool - Cheers, Shorty

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 13, 2019 08:31 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many collectors feel that storing films in cardboard boxes is better than using steel or plastic cans as it allows the film to breathe. For 1200ft boxes I uses free cardboard boxes from the US Postal Service which I slightly modify. They are a little rough inside but I have had absolutely no problem with them.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 13, 2019 11:04 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a problem with it, personally.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2019 12:20 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For features on 1200' reels, I store mine in 2-piece white gift boxes from TinyBoxCompany in England. They are 13" (320mm) diameter, a little bigger than needed, but they look nice and are very smooth.

P.S. I also like to put mini posters on the cover and there is an especially good type available for some movies: wall decals. Apply and reapply in seconds.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2019 01:46 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is so reassuring to read that no one has a bad word to say against them. They certainly do the job splendidly and I can certainly see me using more in the future.
Just for your curiosity, I am storing The African Queen in them, as I purchased it recently on 1200' spools.

Shorty - Look forward to meeting up with YOU again in November.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC