8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S938 Lamp Voltage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig S938 Lamp Voltage
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 10, 2019 11:17 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you own a Eumig 938 or any of the 900 series projectors it is well worth checking the voltage at the lamp (with a good lamp plugged in and illuminated). I found that the lamp on my 938 was only getting 14.2 volts and the picture was unacceptably dim. So I changed the transformer tap from the normal USA 117 volts to the 110 volt tap on the transformer. This brought the voltage up to 15.1 volts which is where it should be, and boy what a difference in screen brightness - really impressive with an f1.0 lens! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2019 07:00 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know Paul! I'll have to test as well.

My understanding is that the median is 117v and thus why some things use it. The reason you may be getting more voltage at 110V can be due to the distance from the transformer on the pole.
You can read sometimes more than 120V if close and as low as 107 if some distance away.
It will be interesting to know. I am right in the heart of the City so i would be very close to a transformer i think....

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 11, 2019 09:38 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My measured line voltage today at the wall socket is 120 volts, so I don't think that is the issue for me. It must be that the transformer in my particular projector is putting out less voltage (14.2v) than the lamp requires (15.0v). This could be either due to manufacturing tolerances (seems excessive at -5.3%) or a deliberate under running of the lamp by Eumig to extend lamp life, or a combination of both. Personally I will take a much brighter picture at the expense of lamp life any day of the week. Would have been nice if Eumig had fitted a HIGH-LOW lamp switch on the 938 like they did on the 824.
I would be interested to know from Steve if he thinks setting my transformer connection at 110 volts (in order to get 15.0 volts on the lamp) will have any adverse effects on the amplifier electronics.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2019 10:27 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, what type of lens did this machine come with?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 11, 2019 11:41 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon, the OEM lens is a Eumig f1.3 14-30mm zoom lens with the exclusive Eumig optical levelling feature, where the outermost objective lens slides along a rack and pinion track so that the image can be very easily levelled on the screen. It's actually a respectable performing lens although obviously not in the same class of the Elmo f1.0 zoom or the Kodak Ektar f1.0 22mm lens,

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 11, 2019 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Am I the "Steve" you mean? (Such a common name I don't usually answer when somebody yells it out!)

I would imagine that Eumig would design some reasonable voltage overhead into their amplifiers. Moment to moment, and place to place the line voltage is changeable: 8PM in July with the whole neighborhood lit up and using AC, electric stoves, dishwashers and food processors to 3AM in October with nothing running but alarm clocks and some guy down the street sitting alone in the dark, pounding away on some film forum!

They can't afford to run too close to the top end.

(By the way, have you poked an outlet and measured what your line voltage is? It IS AC season...)

As far as the amplifier power, I think you will personally provide a correction. I would expect the volume at a given knob setting to go up as the voltage goes up, but I would also expect your ear-brain-hand system to turn it down just a smidge, even if you don't realize you are doing it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC