8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "shopgoodwill" equipment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "shopgoodwill" equipment
Stuart Ulferts
Junior

- posted October 04, 2019 08:19 AM      Profile for Stuart Ulferts   Email Stuart Ulferts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm offering this post because it describes a resource that's allowed a person of limited means (me) to enter this fascinating hobby. I have zero connections to Goodwill Industries and don't know anything about their mission and certainly can't endorse it, but...

Shopgoodwill.com has scores of 8mm (and a few 16) projectors, editors and cameras. The format is typically e-bay style auction. Sometimes there's a "buy it now price." Shipping costs run the gamut but have seemed reasonable.

It is a gamble. None of the sellers, who are Goodwill stores, guarantee operation, but the two projectors and an editor I've purchased arrived as-described and in thrift-store (dusty but intact) condition. The Sankyo runs perfectly and has little obvious wear. The Keystone 16mm took a few hours and some creativity to repair but now plays my 80 year-old archival films.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed earlier. I forgot to search the topic before posting.

--------------------
Stuart

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2019 08:46 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx Stuart!

I like to happen the flea markets and buy and sells seeking out fun items to fix from time to time. I'm getting pickier these days, but...
If you have a bit of no how of how to fix these, you can do quite well in the finds, and for the other not-so-good ones, bought cheaply enough, they could be could for the parts regardless!

For example, the elmo hivison 2 track for 14.99 would be an amazing deal at any rate, even for parts and fun fixing up!
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/77132638
I lucked out recently on a Eumig s938 stereo at the local buy/sell and it came basically mint, including newer belts/bulb. I paid a bit more than these prices of course, but the point is the same... Fun stuff.
Thanx for the link!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 05, 2019 09:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never done "shopgoodwill", but local thrift stores do tend to get a lot of projectors in. At least in the case of our local stores, the projectors tend to be the lesser "sears' or worse model projectors.

... but then, I really don't expect to see top of the line EUMIG's ...

... but one can always dream!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC