8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo K-100 SM: Supply reel sprocket... and my 1st Mega Project Projector..!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo K-100 SM: Supply reel sprocket... and my 1st Mega Project Projector..!
John Pierson
Junior

- posted November 06, 2019 09:10 AM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my...so I got this Elmo K-100 SM dual 8 projector; yay?!? No yay... yet! So the belt needed replacing; an o-ring I had works decent so far. The EFP lamp needed replacing; I had some; that's fine! The main switch-knob came off lol... and I had to get a small allen wrench to tighten that up; so that's done. But this unit is really worn and things keep popping up for me to do lol..!

Rewind doesn't work:
So currently, what looks to be a common issue, is the top sprocket inside, for the supply reel spindle holder (white sprocket gear), cracked apart...! Not unusual unfortunately. I know Van Eck sells a 3-D printed replacement, but it would be like $30 shipped and that's what I paid for the projector.
Anyone have ideas of a cheaper way to repair this? I don't think super glue is an option (but I'll try) as the sprocket gear is in like 3 pieces and still doesn't form a perfect circle; think a few small pieces of it evaporated heehee

Then also on the supply reel, the arm is missing the part of the mechanism that holds the reel on; like the little clip that folds down on the reel; I can put a reel on, but it slides off due to no clip. Hence, Van Eck might solve both issues, but back to the $30

If this unit was top notch otherwise, I might go for it, but it's a project unit through and through. It's fun learning about how to fix portions of it.. but... ya know.

Anyone out there have any parts for this? Or advice?

Otherwise I will clean it up good and lube it, etc. where appropriate, clean lens and all that, and put it away until I develop a plan. The final plan might be Van Eck!

I did like the picture once I got it running; large, bright, quiet, etc.

Thanks Team!

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2019 08:06 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might not sounds decent, but it is actually more practical really.

Considering the faulty parts you're facing with, it would be more practical to looking for a functioning K-100, and keep this one as spares instead. [Roll Eyes]

This is more or less the same thing I did in my vcr collection - attaining a few faulty vcrs of the same make&model, and making one in working order out of them. Turns out to be more practical&economical to find specific NOS spare parts in most cases.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

John Pierson
Junior

- posted November 07, 2019 08:29 AM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know... I did think about this actually! And that might be the most logical plan.
Last night I cleaned it up inside and out; pretty meticulously for me...! It looks really nice; the picture is super clear and bright now; I like how it seems to throw a larger picture than some projectors. Cleaned the lens really well too, etc.!
I guess I probably will just save it for parts, and maybe get another one day.
Thanks for your feedback!

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2019 09:28 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

Why not just buy the 3D printed spindle from Van Eck and install it? I think $30 seems a reasonable price to pay for the convenience of getting the part now and being able to use the projector. You won't have to buy another projector either.

dogtor frankarnstein

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

John Pierson
Junior

- posted November 09, 2019 07:04 AM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's because the unit had so many issues out of the gate, that I'm not convinced the spindle on the other side might do the same thing, as it seems like a part that fails a lot on these. And, the feeder mechanism doesn't grab the film that well, so I'm just sensing a money-pit in this unit lol.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC