8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » ENSIGN Universal projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ENSIGN Universal projector
Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2004 03:40 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to obtain a nice sample of this machine-with it's 8mm/16mm/9.5mm gear.One can hope!Trev

--------------------
Trevor

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 12, 2004 04:28 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor,

I never knew that such an amazing machine existed!
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/ensign9_516.jpg
http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/95gearens1.jpg

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2004 05:20 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are any of these sound models?
The color jpeg pict has a unit that
resembles a speaker.

Happy Hunting.

Best,
Mike

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2004 06:39 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Michael,it is only a resistance.
Yep,they were sold at a time it was very wise to only buy "British made!". Several dual gauge machines were around(8/16 0r 9.5/16)but the Ensign Universal showed all three gauges and was reasonably priced.
It is interesting looking through 1930s Home Movie,Home Talkie mags,I notice that in April 1939 amateur moviemakers wearing gasmasks were filming Air Raid Precaution films.So,someone wasn't as optomistic as PM Chamberlain!Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2004 10:26 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Trev,

Thank you for the insight.

Kind regards,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2004 02:01 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Bolex also had a tri-film model, the G3. There were also dual gauge version of 8-16 and 16-9.5.

The TriFilm model was also available in a sound model that ran both 16mm optical and 9.5 optical sound (long before Regular 8mm found its voice). I have several of the G8-16s but the G3s are rare in the US (I don't think they were ever offically imported here) and the sound models I don't think were ever sold in the US.

John

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only ever seen one of the bolex projectors and the owner did not have the interchangables.It was a very heavy item and quite super!

--------------------
Trevor

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2004 08:11 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got three of the G816 model. One has a three blade shutter and the other two have a 2/4 blade shutter so you can adjust it for four interruptions for silent and two for faster frame rates. I have the 8mm and 16mm gates and the "special" 8mm projection lens which has the lens off center (to the lower left) to keep the picture centered on the screen. A really well made machine which I suspect was made by Siemens and not Bolex since there are similarities to the claw mechanism of the former. I saw the 9.5 parts on ebay once but they went for way too much and I'd still need to modify the claw for 9.5 since it isn't there in the 816 models.

Now if I could find that sound model I saw a catalog picture of . . .

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC