8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Source for Super 8 documentaries?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Source for Super 8 documentaries?
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2005 03:22 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Does anyone know of a source for Super 8 documentaries with magnetic sound?

Categories I would be looking for are:

Space/The Universe; Science/Technology/Engineering; Nature and Wildlife.

They would need to be in English (with magnetic soundtrack).

I haven't had much luck in tracking any of these down myself, so any ideas would be most helpful.

Thanks to all,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 16, 2005 03:51 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
Have you tried writing to schools? This might be your best bet. I guess there are crates of films that were stored in attics and cellars after all the AV services switched to video.
I purchased my first 16mm projector as well as a bunch of super 8 docs about health from a school yard sale.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2005 08:28 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jean. Sounds like a good idea.

The other thing I forgot to mention was anything on American Railroading.

I have an HO layout 11ft x 16ft in the attic and model 19th and early 20th century American Railroads (cowboy era and Big Boys etc.)

Therefore, films on any aspect of American Railroading would be absolutely superb. Must have magnetic sound, though. I hope all members on the other side of the pond are reading this!!!!!!! - - - or am I asking for the impossible??

Cheers,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 16, 2005 10:39 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Blackhawk release a whole series of railroading movies? Then again, I always seem to see films about steam engines and such on eBay UK rather than eBay USA - not that eBay is the definitive (re)source for super-8 film, of course... more like a thrift store [Big Grin]

Oh, and... I do have a rather interesting documentary film called "Before You Hunt", on a 600' reel... still has good color and looks interesting, has live-action scenes and animated characters in it... only catch? It has optical sound so as far as I'm concerned it's a silent movie (have no optical-sound machine and don't see myself getting one) [Frown]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 16, 2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, try Ian at Perry's. I bet he's got some stashed away in his shed out the back.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 16, 2005 07:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
Blackhawk put out a lot of Super 8 documentary films on railroads, aviation, transport, ships, WW1 and WW2, and many classic US Government films, all in magnetic sound versions. The black and white print quality was usually outstanding.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2005 03:55 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for your advice, chaps. I have put out a few 'feelers', so now I'll wait and see what happens.

Any further ideas??

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Classic and Derann list documentary material, both s/h and new.

Blackhawk's rail material was excellent - some of the best rail sound I've heard. They also did some excellent documentaries on other subjects. Their 'Hindenburg' - a compilation of Movietone News material - is very good.

Walton stuff is also worth looking out for both general historical and transport..

Good hunting.

--------------------
Tim

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2005 03:46 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim,

I've just checked out their websites and they have a few interesting ones. I've sent off an enquiry listing my main interests, so hopefully something will turn up from across the pond, railroad-wise.

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that these companies only dealt in features [Embarrassed]

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2005 12:42 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
I picked up a couple of 12ooft reels from the US this year which were Blackhawk on the 20's and 30's mostly in the USA. Very good prints, seem to be a compilation of perhaps 400ft releases -must check for splices.

--------------------
Tony

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2005 04:51 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting, Tony. I'll try to do the same next time I visit my brother in Florida. (Tampa Bay, to be precise).

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC