8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » monty python holy grail super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: monty python holy grail super 8
Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 07:52 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many reels were there of the Walton super 8 release of Monty Python and the Holy Grail? A recent ebay listing shows 2, and I'm wondering if this is all there is. Thanks for your help.

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 03, 2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's all Walton ever released from this title. BTW Reel 2 is the more difficult to get hold of for some reason.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 11:28 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad] Yeah it's at 13 bucks right now but it won't be in three days.

Kev, do you know if a digest was ever made of And Now For Something Completely different?

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 11:44 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys. Do you happen to know the total length of the 2 reels and whether there are any serious omissions? Admittedly, I always thought that Holy Grail could have used some editing, but I wouldn't want to miss out on any of the classic scenes (the Oppressed Peasant, the Black Knight, Tim the Sorceror, The Killer Rabbit, etc.). Perhaps someone could do a review of the super 8 print for the forum? I would certainly appreciate it.

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 03, 2005 12:10 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What! Holy Grail edited!! [Eek!] That would be a sacrilege. [Big Grin]
My son was born after The Holy Grail and he quotes dialogue verbatim. To some kid's it'a a bit like Rocky Horror. A cult classic. [Eek!]
I think if Derran could add this as a feature it would be big seller. [Cool]

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 12:17 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It is a classic Python film (and perhaps one of the reasons why I became a medieval historian, despite the danger of being attacked by knights on horseback). My only gripe is with the last fifteen minutes of the movie, which just dribble away to an abrupt and -- to me -- unsatisfying conclusion. I haven't seen the new musical Spamelot, but I presume that it has wraps things up much more nicely.

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 03, 2005 04:23 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Python's Holy Grail inspired you to become a medievil historian? Does this mean you don't use a computer? [Big Grin]

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 04:41 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Computers I can manage (somewhat), but I do keep my trusty abacus handy for any computation needs.

--------------------

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2005 01:41 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So in the end the 2 reel set went for a mere $46. I would have bid on them had I have not spent my budget on a super 8mm copy of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Hard to resist 1950s sci-fi! Thanks again for your help!

--------------------

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about The Song Remains The Same. It ended by the same seller for $51.00. And in the U.S. there is an 11 dollar shipping charge. Is that digest that hard to find? 62 bucks?

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 09, 2005 11:11 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be patient, Ernie. "Song" shows up on eBay every so often.

Scott, "Spamalot" has a very different ending than "Grail". One of those Broadway musical happy endings! The show is a lot of fun.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC