8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Kodak S8 Sound Cartridges for sale.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak S8 Sound Cartridges for sale.
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 31, 2005 10:28 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a number of super 8 sound kodaks for sale. The expiry date is (i will check)1998. All boxes are new and still Sealed. We are keeping two for ourselves leaving 7 for sale.
You all know these are not availible any more.
We are looking for £14 each or make a (very) sensible offer for all 7.
Postage will be on top.
Anyone in the UK purchasing all 7 will be post free.
These films have been stored all together in room below ground,(My film room and the cooloest room in the house) and in a cupboard with ventilation with no natural light.

As per my previous posts we purchased loads from Kodak when they announced the end of these some years back but now we have used the ones we needed and wish for others to make good use of the remaining.
On home movie making we have moved to the DV cam corder for cheapness.
The end of an era for us and our children [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 31, 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, have removed your double post from the the 8mm forum so just leaving it in this for sale section. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2005 03:38 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello Tom,
ill take the 7 at the asking price.E mail me or post here.
Thanks David.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 01, 2005 11:21 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have sent E-mail.

Kevin,
No problem.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2005 01:46 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Would you like two more Kodachrome sound cartridges - exp date 10/1997 and 02/1997 respectively? I've also got four Ektachrome 160 sound cartridges all fridge stored, 3 have an exp date of 02/1998 and one has an exp of 08/1992.

I guess I'd want £50 for the six postage included. Let me know if you're interested.

Mike

ps; Tom, sorry about gate crashing your thread [Wink]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike...how much for the two Kodachrome sound carts? Simon.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2005 02:24 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

I guess I'm a fair way down the list by now, but I could use the 4 Ektachrome 160 cartridges if no one else wants them. Please let me know the score - I'll even make the effort to pop down - it would be good to meet anyway.

Cheers,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2005 01:35 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon, how about £14.00ea which is what Tom was asking, does that sound fair? That would include postage within the UK.

David, how about £20.00 for the four? You will of course be aware that there are very few labs that will develop these films anymore, but I have been using the Super 8 Reversal Lab in the Netherlands with good results; http://www.super8.nl/english/e_index.htm and of course you would be very welcome to pop down to Worthing and collect them!

Let me know what you both think.

Mike [Smile]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 02, 2005 02:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If these films are sent in the procsess paind envolope to the uk address at Hemel Heampstead im sure they deal with it. Thats what we did 8 months ago. They take a little longer than normal but other than that procsing is paid in the price and they are returned by the lab they are sent to. Mine came back from France. Just make sure you keep the little tear off reciept when you send it.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2005 03:01 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, you're right about the Kodachrome, I was referring to the Ektachrome cartridges that David is interested in. Kodak don't offer a processing service for these and as they are now an obsolete film stock very few labs around the world do.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 02, 2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, exactly what was ektachrome Mike, we only used the standard sound cartriges,

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2005 04:29 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

Ektachrome was the faster film stock rated at 160 ASA whereas Kodachrome is rated 40 ASA. Kodachrome has always come [in Europe at least] with pre-paid mailers so that it could be returned to Kodak for processing, this was included in the purchase price and was in part due to the developing process for Kodachrome being so complex. As Kodachrome remains a current film stock the old mailers are still good even for out of date stock.

Ektachrome could be developed by any of a number of labs as it has an altogether different developing process, I'm sure someone like Kev' will be able to tell us more about that [Wink] . Apparently some people even developed it at home, but it didn't come process paid.

Although Ektachrome remained available after the demise of the sound cartridge, it was changed somehow and a different set of chemicals was necessary in order to develop it. Consequently as the expiry date of the last sound cartridges came round, most of the labs that used to develop Ektachrome ceased to do so.

The super 8 reversal lab in the Netherlands being one of the few that will still do it in Europe.

I hope that helps [Wink]

Mike

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 02, 2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, They are probably the Kodak E6 process which is still the norm. The Widescreen Centre in Dorset St, London W1 still do their own E6 processing so there shouldnt be a problem for David. The fact that they are sound carts will make no differance. The E6 process has been about for yonks and the current new films also use it.
Hope that helps with any fears on processing [Smile]

Kev.

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/cine.php

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2005 12:10 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike and "Chaps",

1. Yes please Mike. Done! I'll e-mail you or something to get your address and arrange a suitable time.

2. "Chaps", - There is hardly anyone that processes E160 now, but I have found out that John Schwind can get them done very well by Yale Laboratories in the USA. I have about 10 of these cartridges still left and they have all performed perfectly. I have found them extremely good for indoor work, and I recently shot our daughter's graduation ceremony in Oxford University - I have to say the results were stunning. - Similarly with our son's engagement party, and, of course, not forgetting the grandson at birthday and Christmas parties. Our daughter and her husband are now expecting their second, so the E160s will be called upon again soon.

BTW, for those of you interested, I only send my Kodachrome K40 direct to Switzerland. Everything else goes to John. Unbeatable prices, even with the international postage! Widescreen Centre - forget it - far too expensive.

Cheers to all,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 03, 2005 11:53 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. [Wink]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2005 03:27 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst I don't like to knock anyone who has the courage to be in the business of supplying super 8 film, I have to echo Davids comments about the Wide Screen Centre and add that on the few occassions I have had the misfortune to telephone them with an enquiry I have been shocked at their attitude and lack of customer service.

I rang several years ago to enquire about having Ektachrome Sound Cartridges processed and was made to feel stupid, I was told in no uncertain terms that they were obsolete so of course no one would be interested in processing them, the guy on the other end then hung up.

Made me feel that I didn't want to go back to them for any thing else and in fact, despite being an avid super 8 user, I haven't.

I felt that it would have taken no more time or energy to say; 'I'm sorry, they are now obsolete and as such we can't offer a processing service but it might be worth trying....'

Moan over [Roll Eyes] .

Mike

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2005 04:51 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too, had a similar experience to Mike some time ago. My query was regarding the use of one of my cine cameras for a particular application. I got the distinct impression that they just weren't interested.

With regard to prices, here is a typical example for Standard 8:

B&W processing at WSC £11.50 PLUS P&P to wherever £4.50 = £16!!!!

B&W processing by JS $10.00 = £5.50 plus £1.35 air mail each way = £8.20 - half price and £8 difference into the bargain!

I don't know what WSC would charge for colour processing, I just rang them and they won't have stocks of either colour or B&W for about 2 weeks, and couldn't tell me either the purchase price or cost of colour processing.

John's price for processing is the same for both colour and monochrome!

My stocks of Standard 8, as I've said before come from Jim Peters at £7.50 for B&W cine-X, and £12 for cinechrome 25 or 40.

Fomapan Standard 8 B&W I get from Rick Hawkins of Java Photo at £9

And I'm sure we all know that WSC price for Super8 Kodachrome 40 is just over £14, whereas 7dayshop charges just over £10!!!

I rest my case.

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2005 12:53 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
Sorry i havnt replied to your offer re sound cartridges which ive only just picked up.
Im pleased you seem to have sold them now because i have enough with Toms and musnt be greedy!
Regards David.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC