8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Golden Voyage of Sinbad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Golden Voyage of Sinbad
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 29, 2005 02:26 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if this was ever released on Super 8 as a feature? It is my favorite Sinbad film.

|  IP: Logged

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2005 03:30 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that GOLDEN VOYAGE was released as a multi-reel Super 8mm digest (4x400). I've seen color/sound and b&w/silent versions and other combinations as well. I have at least one of the four parts (a b&w/sound version) in my collection. If you are interested in buying it, please send me a private message. I'd be happy to oblige. SGB

PS Do you really like GOLDEN VOYAGE better than 7TH VOYAGE? Really?

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 29, 2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I like the Golden Voyage because that is the one I saw in the theatre. And of course Caroline Munroe. [Smile]
And the little bat thing. And the eye in the middle of her hand. And the centaur. Great stuff! Thanks for the offer but I want to get some with color and sound. And the creepiest monster was the one on the ship. The one that had the little club in her hand and pulled away from the front! [Embarrassed]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 29, 2005 07:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,

Although I think 7th Voyage is a better film, I'm also a big fan of Golden, which has an interesting 8mm history. Golden Voyage was originally released by Columbia in 4 parts, similar to Jason and the Argonauts and 7th Voyage. The first part was titled "Sinbad Duels the Idol of Many Arms", the 2nd was "Sinbad Challenges the Monster", followed by "Sinbad and the Magic Sword", and finishing with "Sinbad and the Oracle". The digests were edited very strangely and Columbia recalled the digests, re-edited, and then re-released them. The 4 parts of the final version are titled "Sinbad's Mystical Adventure", "Sinbad and the Mysterious Amulet", "Sinbad Battles Koura's Evil Magic", and "Sinbad's Triumph".
I know forum member Brian Hendel was hunting down all 8 parts to see how they would cut together.
I was also on the lookout till I came across a full length 16mm print (decent color!).

Doug

My copy of "Sinbad's Mystical Adventure" was packaged in the older version's box. It had a sticker on the wrapper covering up the older (silver) title.
 -

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is my favorite Sinbad film as well. I was nine when it came out and I remember being dropped off at the theater to see it. The animation was superb and the production design (especially the colors in the caves) was breathtaking. And, yes, Caroline Munro was very easy on the eyes as was John Phillip Law (who is more my taste, to be honest)! I have a packed 1200' super 8 color sound reel of the film that is really great. Here's what you have to track down, and it's not that easy. There are actually a total of 8 (!) 200' digests released. The first batch of four were recalled because of complaints that there was not enough animation in them. The trouble is they were not retitled so unless you get the person selling them to watch them and give you a synopsis you will not know which ones you are getting. There is also a 200' "making of" documentary and a beautiful three minute trailer that was released by Derann. If you collect all the pieces you actually end up with over an hour long version that is actually better than the feature (no slow bits). There was also a 400' German digest I have seen on Ebay. I'm curious if that has even more scenes that the Columbia reels don't have. Good luck in your search!

Brian

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 29, 2005 07:48 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

Pretty amazing that you were probably typing your post while I was mentioning you in mine! Glad to see that you tracked them all down.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2005 07:54 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

I know that was weird timing! We were definitely typing at the same time... I didn't know that Columbia just put stickers on the plastic wrapper to change the titles of the digests! That's why I had to buy so many copies until I got the right ones... Oh well. Hope all is well with you in TV land.

Brian

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 29, 2005 10:40 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really must watch Golden Voyage... I remember seeing some Sinbad film (with Dynamation effects) on TV, and at the end Sinbad battled what looked like a bunch of Mongolian warriors on a small bridge - they all moved the same way, simultaneously - and then the evil magician, whoever he was, turned himself into a dragon and attacked Sinbad's ship from the air.
For some reason I expected to see these scenes in 7th Voyage (never having seen that film in its entirety before) and was somewhat surprised/disappointed when they didn't appear. I suspect what I was watching on TV was Golden Voyage.....

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2005 11:13 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan, I think the film you're recalling is "Jack the Giant Killer", which starred Kerwin Mathews who played 'Sinbad' in "7th Voyage". [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 29, 2005 11:42 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot damn! ... I think you're right!!

I thought Jack the Giant Killer was some modern kid's movie [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2005 04:55 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walton Films released a 2x400' version of "The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad" here in the UK in the late 70's, but I'm afraid it is rarely seen on dealers lists (I've had one copy in 10 years of trading), but what I remeber of it, it was good quality, and quite well edited.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC