8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Independent 8 lists available on The BFCC site

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Independent 8 lists available on The BFCC site
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to John Clancy (once again) my lists are available to view via the BFCC SITE , just use the link on the HOME PAGE to the Independent 8 pages.

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2006 01:36 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I'd just like to apologize for the delay in posting them and also for my absence from the forum. Been moving to the Cornish abode and was without a telephone line for some time. Got the broadband connection working today and immediately hit by a malicious virus which had rendered my pc almost useless. Only way out of this is to get another pc and hope the anti-virus, adware, spyware and firewall actually does the job next time.

Still, I've been able to spend the last half hour catching up on here so it's not a total loss.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2006 02:05 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

As your now residing in Cornwall, I suppose you'd better change your location on the Forum's tagline. Thanks once again for all your help, shame about your computer though, AOL Broadband is very good, and has free Firewall and ad and spyware too!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 09, 2006 10:04 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Barry your right. I heard that you get free adware and spyware from AOL [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 09, 2006 02:02 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only way out of this is to get another pc and hope the anti-virus, adware, spyware and firewall actually does the job next time.
May I ask why? [Eek!] There may yet be ways to save your current data. Even if not, you'd simply wipe the harddisk clean and re-install Windows from scratch using the CD that came (should have come) with your system.

If the machine still boots into Windows and you can run your browser, may I suggest visiting http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ which is an absolutely terrific online virus/spyware scanner and removal tool. It's fully automatic and installs some components onto your machine in order to run a scan through the browser - just takes a while to do the job but it's quite thorough and effective. I've used it on other people's machines to clean them up before and really can recommend it.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles, though. Hope you get up and running again soon - and if you decide to give the website a shot, good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 09, 2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, Trend is the software I use on my PC. For home use it the version called PCCillin and its absolutely brilliant. The good thing about it is that it doesnt take over Windows when you start your machine. It sits there waiting in the background and just checks everything that comes into your machine unlike say Norton which checks the whole hard disc everytime you start your machine!
I have just been installing a new hard disc in my sisters machine today and every time the machine was started Norton did a scan of all the system files every time I rebooted the machine which was a pain on a fairly slow machine.
My trend software even alerts me to someone trying to connect to my Wireless router.
At work I use Trend Client Server software and it keeps tabs on all the workstations which I'm glad to say are virus free and then it watches all the emails which come into our Exchange server. This means that all emails are free of any virus etc before the user opens an email. Truly brilliant software and not resoucre intensive on your PC. They dont advertise big time like the others but they are probably the bigest prof AV etc company arround. They also seem to pick up new attacks before Norton ever does and all software is checked for upadates every 3 hours or so that the machine is on, with a weekly scan of the entire hard drive.

BTW no I'm not on Trends payroll just know a good prog when I see one. http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 10, 2006 12:20 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on - couldn't agree more with everything you've said! [Smile]

Indeed, the Big Two (Symantec/Norton and McAfee) are far from the only options for desktop security software, and many tech heads (myself included) actually agree they rate among the worst. As for Trend Micro, I do love the online scanner, but my desktop virus scanner is from Computer Associates (eTrust EZ Antivirus), another very good product, and my firewall is good old Sygate Personal Firewall - used to be a free download, but then Symantec bought out Sygate and, well, you know what that means [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

P.S.: sorry for going utterly and completely off-topic [Eek!]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 10, 2006 05:21 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep I agree Jan it's gone very off topic but I feel that info like this which can help others is valuable.

Maybe if we want to cary this one on we should start a new thread in the General Yak area.

Kev.

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2006 04:33 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trend is the best... but that's why the network version is so darned expensive. We were forced to junk it and adopt the Norton cheapie (now known as Symantec) - it was always poor compared to others and still appears to be so.

Thanks for the advice regarding rebuilding the machine or getting onto anti-virus sites Jan. This virus kills web browsers immediately any anti-virus sites are accessed and won't permit the running of regedit. I don't have the Windows OS CD as originally this was a work machine I just used from home to stay on-line to the office 24 hours a day. Take my advice and never consider an IT job in the modern world as companies figure they can make everyone but one person redundant nowadays to run the lot!!!.

Anyway, being the clever sod I am I've managed to eliminate the worst of the virus payload and can now use the machine but am unable to clean it without either networking it to another machine or putting the hard disc in another machine as a slave.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 11, 2006 10:37 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

if you were able to identify the particular virus on your machine, there might be a removal tool available for just this one virus. Since you have no Web access, one of us could maybe download said tool, then email it to you as an attachment .exe file.

Which sounds a bit backward, I just realized... but it's a chance. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 12, 2006 01:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
John, I know you probably know this but some virus's cant be got rid of by AV sofware completely because they are starting up with a command in Windows registry.

I have found many times that if you start the machines in "safe mode" and then run your AV scanner they can then very often be removed.

Just a thought if you havent tried that so far. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2006 05:05 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I thought exactly the same... but the machine will now no longer boot in safe mode. It's screwed, pure and simple. And I don't know which virus it is. If I could access the anti-virus sites I could probably find out but I don't think it's worth it. It's only a PIII and due for replacement.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2006 11:00 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmn...Interesting this.

Just back on topic for a mo...great little quiz on the front of the Indy 8 newsletter, Barry; my answers will be finding their way electronically to you soon!

Back on this virus thing though, Kevin, I definatley appreciate this kind of advice from people I can trust as I'm no computer expert myself.

I currently use Norton 2006 and had hoped it would do (I also scan regularly with BulletProof Anti-SpyWare which seems very good and in addition with SpySweeper).

I tried the Trendmicro site but when I visit the free "House Call - Check my PC" page, it just freezes? Any ideas?

John, you've given me the heebee geebees now; just how did you get infected with such a nasty thing???

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 12, 2006 05:37 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things about the Trend Micro softaware is the it doesnt work properly if Symantecs Norton is runnig.

If you actually buy PcCillin it will not install if Norton is installed.

Kev.

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2006 04:37 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because Norton is crap Rob.

Just winding you up...

My PC had been off-line for over a month due to moving and not having an internet connection. As soon as I got back on-line Norton went to do an update but the virus got in first.

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

This is very worrying, it's something I hadn't thought about but when we get connected up at home on Friday my pc will have been off line for just over a year.

Is there anything I can do to stop the same thing happening to me [Confused] .

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2006 02:11 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a prayer mat.

And a budget for a new machine.

Joking aside, it was just bad luck caused by a rather unique set of circumstances. Hopefully the like of which will not happen again.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 15, 2006 05:47 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Get a prayer mat.

And a budget for a new machine.

Actually, before that, and provising you have the tools to do it, why don't you try - prior to hooking the PC to the internet - to back-up everything that needs to be saved, then upgrade your protection. If anything happens, reformat your hard drive, install the basic OS, load/upgrade protections, then transfer back what's been previously saved to your drive. I did that a few months ago. It was time consuming but I didn't loose files. Best of luck.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2006 04:10 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, once the net connection was made I logged on to the net and immediately got a message from Mc Afee saying that my internet security was zero and I needed to update, so I followed the online instructins and got the whole thing brought up to date before venturing elsewhere on the web.

Everything seems ok, I'm protected and I'm back on line!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2006 05:17 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree about Trend but you chaps make life soooooooo difficult for yourselves.

Just go buy a decent computer-get a Mac and you won't ever worry again [Wink]

Ian, if your reading this I am not talking about an item of clothing that you might wear in Hounslow on a saturday morning [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC