8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking for Kodachrome & Ektachrome cartridges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for Kodachrome & Ektachrome cartridges
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 23, 2007 02:53 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I have a hurt feeling when looking at our library and found twenty reels (50") of my first son and 1 reel only for my new second son (he was born in April 2006, few months before the K40 gone).

I can certainly take a digital video to shoot hours and hours of my second son, but that is not of my interest. I've done it but always forgot to see it back and then re-tape it [Big Grin]

Therefore, though my budget is so limited, I am trying again to shoot my second son in 8mm.

Knowing that now only E64 left, where price does not include process, I was thinking to just buy old stocks (but well-stored)8mm, both Kodachrome and Ektachrome. Sound cartridge is preferable.

I have friends in UK, France, USA, Canada (..and Tanzania if this helps) who can keep and bring the cartridges to me.

Please send the offer to winbert (at) hotmail.com with the details.

BTW, I just realised that when talking Ektachrome there are a lot of types and not all are accepted by Dwayne. So can you guys let me know what Ektachrome that is still easily processed.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2007 06:04 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

just a couple of questions:

a) Are you going to shoot with a Super8- or with a Double8-camera? (Sounds like "Super8" since you've used the term "cartridge", but ...)

b) You're asking for outdated material "to save money". But the "processing paid" isn't honoured any more. So you'll have to pay for the process. And very soon the processing of the outdated material will become more expensive than processing the current e6-filmstocks (e64t, e100d, cinevia, ...) . So why do you want to pay more when the outdated material will give inferior results just because it should have been processed years ago?
Not to mention that several companies now sell the current films including processing. And these "bundled prices" are cheaper than buying the film and paying separately for the processing.
In other words: Due to the higher costs for the processing, the outdated films might even get more expensive than the current films - even if you get those outdated films for free! There are only two facts that would "justify" this "waste of money" for me:
1) You're going to use Kodachrome with its proven archival qualities
2) You want to shoot sound-carts with a live-sound-camera.

Just my two cents,
Jörg

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2007 09:00 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E.g.: Wittner's prices for the e64t INCLUDING PROCESSING when bought from outside Europe:
fom 1 cart 22.40 EUR
fom 5 carts 21.20 EUR
fom 10 carts 20.70 EUR

Getting a Super8-cart of K40 processed at Dwayne's using Wittner's shipping-service from outside Europe:
16.42 EUR

So you'll only save 6 EUR... how much do you expect to pay for a cart of K40?

Getting Ektachrome processed at Super8 Reversal lab isn't much cheaper, too:
Kodak type 7280: 12,50 EUR
Kodak type 7240 and all outdated color reversal films: 15,50 EUR
(Note the "All prices are excluding reels, postal charges and 19% taxes."-tag on the webpage!)

Andec's prices for processing "VNF 7240":
12,50 EUR (+ VAT + shipping)

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2007 02:56 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
e-mail sent!

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC