8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » laural and hardy titles wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: laural and hardy titles wanted
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2007 08:02 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dose anybody have super 8 sound copies of these titles they would part with
double whoopie
leave 'em laughing
soup to nuts
thanks

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2007 09:53 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim

I don't think you will find these in sound. Double Whoopee and From Soup To Nuts (the sequel to We Faw Down) were the last of the silents they made before they did sound shorts.

I was lucky enough to recently come across these titles for myself. Only have had them for about 2 weeks! They're very funny and brings back memories of my collection before I started sound.

Chip

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 12, 2007 06:20 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You often find L&H silents from Blackhawk with a music track. The drawback is at least in the two like this I've snagged so far ("Two Tars", and "Your Darn Tootin’") there is a lot of music which is the same in both films so if you show the films together it doesn't work very well.

That much being said, the music track adds a lot and given the choice I'd still go for it. Something about seeing a movie about musicians completely silent just doesn't seem right. (Besides, they were very often shown theatrically accompanied with live music anyway...)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2007 09:06 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys I should have mentioned that I was looking for the musical soundtrack of these I know they were made silent sorry about that I am sure they will be hard to find with the musical soundtracks.

--------------------
jim schrader

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2007 10:52 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for letting me know! I have only recently started collecting super 8 silents again. And, back before I did collect sound, I only had a few of these and wouldn't remember the history.

Sorry Jim. I stand corrected.

Chip G

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 12, 2007 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think silents have a certain value: I live in a house with a kid that needs to be asleep by 8:30 on school nights. If I put a silent on the screen I never hear "Turn that down!!!" from upstairs!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 12, 2007 03:00 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But FROM SOUP TO NUTS was never released from Blackhawk with a track - Anyone who has one, merely placed a home-made version to accompany - Griggs released these with an audio cassette to aid along with the film, but these are hard to locate - DOUBLE WHOOPEE was dubbed in 1969 with music and voices by Chuck McCann, again unsure if this was ever released in Super 8 - Blackhawk didn't, that's for certain - Shorty

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2007 06:36 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's a bummer i thought they might have made these with musical tracks thanks for the info though [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2007 10:31 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Silents that were released with a
magnetic soundtrack are:

Liberty: Vitaphone Track
Bacon Grabbers Vitaphone Track
That's My Wife Vitaphone Track
Angora Love Vitaphone Track

Battle of the Century Pie Fight
Battle of the Century :extended version with a scored track
by Gaylord Carter

Big Business: Blackhawk track
Two Tars: Blackhawk track
Your Darn Tootin':Blackhawk track
Habeas Corpus: Blackhawk track
Liberty: Blackhawk track

I once knew a gentleman that had a print of Double Whoppee
which was main and balanced striped, but there was not a recording on the track.

I also have an Our Gang Silent: Barnum and Ringling that is striped and without a track.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 13, 2007 06:48 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike, I'm still very interested in the film anytime you're of a mind, Fraternally, Shorty

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2007 02:56 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have these soundtrack that Jim needs? With all this talk lately about recording sound, can somebody make an MP3 of such soundtracks to share with others in this forum? Simply download to those on request, swap from mp3 to CDA file with your music software, then burn to Compact Disc to play along with the silent film. Although sync might be an issue, it just might work for some of us who can't record directly on to the prints!

I'll be going to the mall soon. I'm going to look up compact discs of just organ music, like the kind that was played down near the giant palace screens. Maybe one of us can come up with something that works.

Just a thought. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm [Big Grin]

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2007 04:48 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim -- Are you looking for 8mm only or would a 16mm print do? I believe I've got a 16mm/sound "Soup to Nuts" somewhere... If you're interested, email me at: steven (at) 16mm-films (dot) net and I'll go look for it...

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2007 06:57 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Chip sinced it is just music track one could record it himself,and not have to worry to much about sync, I recorded the tree in a test tube my original had bad sound I bought another one and set up 2 elmo's and copied the good soundtrack to the bad one it worked pretty good the recorded one was slightly out of sync from what the narrator was saying.

--------------------
jim schrader

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC