8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Star Wars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars
Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2008 02:24 AM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this impossible to find now?
Please say no.
I am fairly new to super8 and never realized one could purchase full length features such as Star Wars.

I understand this was distributed by Derann but it seems to be no longer available.

Any leads?
I'd love to have this on real film...(is that a pun?)

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2008 02:39 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick,

My advice is to trawl over the dealers lists, ebay etc. as it does come up occasionally, but be warned as it's now OOP it still commands a high price.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 22, 2008 07:20 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I too have been looking for a copy for a while now.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2008 07:33 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Patrick,
I think Classic Home Cinema have copies of 'The Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi'

http://homeclassiccinema.moonfruit.com/

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 22, 2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that this title has been getting harder to find. I would see a few every month or two, and now, much rarer. Try to find and early generation print, as the negative wear is, of course much less.

The print I bought from Foster films about four years ago was a personal print from the first day release celebration, (the box is signed by none other than Dave Prowse, the dude in the Darth vader costume ... YES!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2008 11:43 AM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thanks for the replies. I guess it will be tough to find but not impossible, so that's encouraging.

As for Empire and Return, I'm happy to see those around as well.

Again, I am just discovering this fantastic world of film, with which I have been fascinated since I was a boy, and seeing all these full length features just blows me away.
I have a few silent shorts, like the Ken films Star Wars(purchsed at the age of 12 by saving my pennies, literally) and similar sci-fi 200 footers, but the prospect of owning THEM! for example, full length on super8 is very exciting!

What a geek I am!

BTW, nice way to rub it in Osi...David Prowse indeed.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2008 01:37 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see new folks in the hobby....and this forum is a bountiful source of information and help. And even though it is put down by many, Ebay is where I've located many many films..some of them bargains.Also can't recommend highly enough Steve Osborne's The Reel Image...he puts out a magazine on film collecting...and also several listings a year of great used films at very good prices. he also can order for you prints from England and Europe from Derann and others.
You may have seen on another part of the forum that he's suffering from pneumonia right now, but should be back in a few weeks. Through him I've gotten great prints of You Only Live Twice, Indiana Jones and the last Crusade, Alien , The World is Not Enough and many others. He sells projectors and all the supplies you'll ever need...bulbs, splicers....etc.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 22, 2008 07:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry film bro! Didn't mean to rub in anything,

(he did sign it, nyeah nyeah!)

I did forget to mention some advice that occured to me shortly after signing off this morning. You may want to seek out the 1X400ft version of "Star Wars Pt.2" THis one was released in flat and SCOPE versions. On this version, it has :

Luke discovering the message from Leia.
Ben Kenobi discovering Luke, (after sand people attack)
The Cantina Scene (most of it!)
Destruction of Alderran (cool!)
and ...

The Last Battle! (This is a six minute version of the last battle, and a very good edit of that sequence!)

lastly, the awards ceremony!

It is a very good 400ft reel, and it's in cinemascope! Often, instead of viewing the full 4X600ft feature, I'll screen this one for audiences, (as they are mostly interested in the last
Battle!). I highly reccomend it. it can be even harder to come by than the feature, but well worth it. Note that it has the same cover as "Star Wars Part 2" flat version, but the scope version has a "Cinemascope" sticker on that front cover, it's the only difference, and it's in a plastic clamshell.

(If one of our helpful forum members could, could you please put up a screenshot of the cover, as I know it was on the forum awhile back.)

Also note, the feature is on either AGFA or Eastman L.P.P., so your bound to get a really good color copy of the feature when you find it. The 1X400ft scope is not on Eastman L.P.P. or AGFA, but it is on a fairly good eastamn stock that, from what most people has stated, has held up very well, (please be cautious of the 1x400 "cinevision" scope print, as the colors on that one haven't held up as well, though it's the same exact edit as the good color 1X400ft.

By the way, please note that the full feature of Star Wars, is NOT the special edition of the feature, but the wondrous ORIGINAL version of this classic feature!

Seeing that big Star Destroyer ome down on the screen on that big scope screen is the magnificent reminder as to why we are all in this hobby!!!

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 23, 2008 11:05 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick, welcome to the forum.
If you look at THIS PAGE you'll be able to see how various super 8 extracts of Star Wars can be spliced together. It's the next best thing if you can't find the feature.
The Derann 4x600ft version is top notch.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got Classic's list in the post and they have "Star Wars" Feature Top order, scope 4X600 £220. I'd consider buying it myself but I'm off on holiday and cant spare the money.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2008 09:31 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting you should mention the two Ken version splicings Jean-Marc.
Not too long ago a seller on Ebay was offering both versions, I bid on both not knowing they were different ( I just wanted a sound color version as I always lost out on the auctions )Anyway I ended up winning both and low and behold someone had already spliced the two versions into a coherent cutdown...great luck.
I had an outdoor screening this summer for family and friends and a great time was had by all.

Cheers
Terry

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2008 10:39 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just what we were talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-1977-Super-8-Sound-400-SCOPE-Super-RARE_W0QQitemZ370071580361QQihZ024QQcategoryZ63821QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 24, 2008 06:58 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry..not to hijack the thread..but did you use to run LA films in the 80's?
Just curious.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 24, 2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly,

Though it's nice to see the screenshots from the print of that scope Star Wars 400ft, I think you might want to wait on another print, as you can get better color than that. it definitely had red warming to it, and it is a little sharper than the images, of course, (but that it the sadness of screenshots as a general rule.)

That's just my advice.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 24, 2008 11:23 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a copy for sale and its looked exactly the same as that one. Colors a little warm...but once you start watching it..all is forgotten. Well...most is forgotten!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 24, 2008 11:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not an absolute fact, but I have noticed that there will be a number of people who will desire to sell they're print of, for instance, this very 400ft title, and they'll see how much someone else is asking, and if it sells for a good deal, (hell, though I have it, I'll just watch to see how much it'll go for!), then you'll see a couple of the same exact scope title up on ebay within the next few days.

... but then, there might not be another one for a year, so it is a kind of a risk.

I just pulled out my copy and sure enough, it still has it's vintage color, (perfect blacks on the STAR WARS logo and the last battle) though some of the screenshots shown do have some scenes that aren't that bad, (too bad there are none of the last battle), so it's not too bad, though I honestly wouldn't pay 69.00 dollars.

--------------------

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2008 09:51 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Gary Crawford, Reel Image is awesome. From dealing personally with Steve, I've found that if he doesn't have what you're looking for, he'll do his best to find it. And he'll try to get it for you at bottom dollar.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2008 11:45 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
Yes he did. I remember him well. I'm sure you do also.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 12:26 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved his catalogs...in fact. I still have some of them. I remember when Star Wars was introduced and it was priced at $400! Cinemascope and Stereo sound. I remember wondering what it would look like on my crummy Chinon...wow...Larry Arpin...Thank you for some great teen years!

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2008 12:10 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan-Thank you for the comment. I started it around 1977 & somewhere around 1983/84 a similar situation as Jan Bister went through recently happened and my whole life took a tailspin. It was a whole lot of fun. I especially liked reviewing the films.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2008 08:42 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I got some of my best stuff from Larry (L.A. Films) back then. And I remember Larry's bi-monthly "Super 8 Reader", full of in-depth reviews by Larry and other contributors.

About 80 percent of my collection was purchased from L.A. Films back then! Larry, I even spoke to you on the phone a couple of times back then. A really nice guy. Thanks again!

James.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 30, 2008 09:41 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos to Mr. Arpin. Remember.....Patrick still needs help finding Star Wars!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 30, 2008 12:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he has a good start, one link to a 400ft scope version, and one link to a full feature!

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 30, 2008 01:21 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick,
I may have a copy of Star Wars coming down the pipeline... send me an email and I can give you the details...

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2008 03:20 AM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,

I tried to send you an email but the system is not cooperating!

I would love to know if you come in contact with that print...

You can email me at mcgrathmail@yahoo.com

I love this place!

Thanks

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC