8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Best print for Star Wars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best print for Star Wars
Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2009 08:02 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
Im new in 8mm forum.

Im starting collecting recently feature films on super 8 and 16mm. I hope someone can help me where I can find Star Wars/ Empire/ Return of the Jedi, whether in super 8 or 16mm print in mint condition. I know Derann have new print right now for Jedi, but im not sure If its best print comparing to their old prints. If any one can help I will be very grateful.

Many thanks.

[ August 31, 2009, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Hamid Moqadam ]

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2009 11:37 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hamid,

Good luck with your quest of finding Star Wars but you will have a very hard time indeed. I would love a copy but have only seen 1 copy for sale and that went for more than I could afford at the time [Frown] . If you are very lucky enough to find a near mint scope copy you will find another 50 collectors after it. I dont know if copies of Star Wars varied over the print run and when D***nn stopped selling it. Usually the early copies of most films are the best, certaintly from the 1980's onwards.

As for 'Empire' I think phil sold it from CHC. Dont know about anyone else. Not sure of the print quality but CHC films come from germany and may be more grainy than D***nn's (thats what I find anyway)

You have already mentioned that D***nn still sell new 'Jedi'. There is a review in the '8mm reviews' section. The earlier prints would probably be the best as new prints from D****n often have a slight blue cast but are still razor sharp. You also have to take into account there may also be negative damage on new prints. But the problem lies there again that finding an early print could lead you searching for months if not years.

Of all the 3 films above, yes there are early prints out there but not many of them crop up on the secondhand market as the collectors who have them, keep hold of them. I cant remember seeing any of the above on D****n's lists for a long time.

Good luck

Graham S

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 01, 2009 01:20 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A dealer called John McKeon in NY has a LPP Scope 16mm print of JEDI, and a Scope STAR WARS for sale in this months Classic Images.

-Mike

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2009 03:59 AM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That’s very helpful information Graham, thank you very much. Sadly, I thought I should find brand new prints with artwork cover very easy, but now i dont think so [Frown] . Derann also told me they are not going to make new prints anymore, it’s very sad if this is true.

Im checking Ebay from time to time, it seems i have to wait. LPP will be best I think, but if it’s too expensive then I might look for moderate print. Most importantly I cannot watch from digital medium, because the spaceships look like plastic models even with best displays and reference players! Which is not good for me.

Thank you very much Michael for locating some place, I will check if i could find website for it.

[ September 04, 2009, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Hamid Moqadam ]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 03, 2009 04:41 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hamid,

This is the website but, last months issue is up there at the moment.
However, you can't order film from them. You would need to telephone the seller yourself.

If you want his details, please email me at
mjoregan(at)btinternet(dot)com
and I would be happy to pass them on to you.
http://www.classicimages.com/

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 03, 2009 05:36 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both (KEN) 200' and 400' editions are very nice, Cheers from Shorty

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2009 05:18 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Michael. Do you have idea how much the price and which way i can buy it? I mean through Ebay for example?

Hi Joe, Yes i have the 200 and 400 both Star Wars and Empire, but sadly they are short not full theatrical release.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2009 10:43 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Scope print of Star Wars sold for over $700 US Dollars on Ebay a few weeks ago.... too pricey for me. [Frown]

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2009 12:26 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check Steve Osbourne at Reel Image magazine.If you're going to collect S8,you need this publication.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 04, 2009 07:03 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hamid,
You can only buy these prints directly from the seller. You would need to contact him.

If you send me an email I can give you the details from the magazine. I don't want to post them here as he is a private seller.

-Mike

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2009 07:53 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked Derann's WEB site, which has already been updated for September 2009. They have new prints listed for the "Return of the Jedi" feature, so there shouldn't be a problem getting that one.

Contact Phil Sheard/ CHC about "Empire Strikes Back". I think they print on order.

In reference to the "Star Wars" feature, while they are very much in demand, the good news is that there were LOTS of prints made of this. Mostly Derann, but there were some decent boot-leg prints out there before that, so you are bound to catch one sooner or later.

Happy hunting.

James.

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2009 01:12 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I sew Jedi but i might prefer old print if i could find new or mint.

[ September 11, 2009, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Hamid Moqadam ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC