8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Wanted: Tom & Jerry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted: Tom & Jerry
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2009 03:02 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently looking for Tom and Jerry shorts, Colour Sound of course, and these in particular:

The Cat Concero
The Cat Above and the Mouse Below
The Night Before Christmas
The Lonesome Mouse
The Yankee Doodle Mouse
Mouse in Manhattan
Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl

I have four Castle Films Popeye 50 ft shorts on standard 8 that I am willing to trade for it, aswell as some Chaplin shorts and a Laurel and Hardy short (all of these are S8 B/W Silent).

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 25, 2009 07:29 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

Tom & Jerry series are such repeatable titles. I am trying to complete all TJ series.

If you have an Ebay ID, try to locate them from Ebay.co.uk as they always come and go. However I notice that your wish list titles above are somewhat a bit rare.

The most often titles to be on Ebay are:

1. Tom & Jerry - The Truce Hurts (Walton, 200' Super 8mm, colour, sound)

2. Tom & Jerry - Posse Cat (Walton, 200' Super 8mm, colour, sound)

3. Tom & Jerry - Cat Fishing (Walton, 200' Super 8mm, colour, sound)

4. Tom & Jerry - Cat Napping (Walton, 200' Super 8mm, colour, sound)

5. Tom & Jerry "and the Goldfish" (Walton, Super 8mm, 200, Col, Sound)

6. Tom & Jerry "Mouse comes to dinner” (Walton, 200", super 8mm, Sound, Color)

7. Tom & Jerry "Dr Jeckyl & Hyde" (Walton, super 8mm, 200" Sound, Color)

8. Tom and jerry "in Two mouseketeers" (Walton, 200", super 8mm, Sound, Color)

9. TOM & JERRY "Cruise Cat" (Walton, Super 8mm, Colour, Sound, 200")

10. TOM & JERRY: MOUSE TROUBLE (Walton, Super 8mm, 200" Clr & Snd)

11. Tom And Jerry – Jerry & Jumbo (Walton, Super 8mm, 200, Col, Sound)

12. Tom And Jerry – Tennis Chumps (Walton, Super 8mm, 200, Col, Sound)

13. Tom And Jerry – Cueball Cat (Walton, Super 8mm, 200, Col, Sound)

14. Tom And Jerry – His Mouse Friday (Walton, Super 8mm, 200, Col, Sound)

15. Tom And Jerry – Dr Jekyll and Mr Mouse (Walton, Super 8mm, 200, Col, Sound)

They are usually around GBP 2-7/each. The rarer titles like your list above are ranging from GBP 5 - 12.

Try to buy only Walton release as they usually on AGFA or Fuji, but if you are unlucky one you can also get on Kodak. Those from Derann (UK) will be on AGFA or LPP and the price will be GBP 7-15 (on Derann 2nd hand list usually it is priced GBP11).

Avoid to buy those released by MGM (from USA), most likely they are on Kodak and have faded by now (although there are a few on AGFA too).

JM (member of this forum) say that TJs from French companies (Film Office) are always good colors, but I didn't have one.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2009 07:53 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am to trying to collect them all, the only ones I need are:
UPDATED LIST

-The Midnight Snack

-The Lonesome Mouse (which derann has but its new not in the budget)
-Trap Happy (which derann has but its new not in the budget now)
-Part Time Pal (have a cut down version on 16mm)
-Downhearted Duckling
-Pecos Pest
anybody run across these please let me know thanks
THANKS KEVIN FOR YOUR HELP [Smile]

[ November 09, 2009, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Jim Schrader ]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2009 07:52 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jim

I can help you with four of the Tom & Jerry films from your wants list - I'll send you an email with full details.

Kevin

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 04:35 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only ones I'm looking for are:

Concerto Cat
Johann Mouse

And any of the Chuck Jones ones. I know at least a couple of his made it to Super 8.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2009 06:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please keep in mind that you'll want to make sure that you buy either Derann prints of these titles OR the original MGM issues of these cartoons, (though some of MGM issues have fade problems).

The reason why you won't want to select out the Walton prints, is that, though they tended to use better non fade stocks, they also EDITED the cartoons. Sometimes it would only be one short gag, or a part of the gag. In other cases, it'll be a whole sequence.

An example of this is in the cartoon, "Johann Mouse". In the original cartoon, Tom goes through a number of notes, page by page, in order to learn how to play. In the Walton version, they cut out a number of the page by page note playing shots, giving you a shorter version of the cartoon and therefore saving a little on print costs ...

... but the viewer leaves cheated, especially if they were expecting certian things to happen.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2009 08:29 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Osi!
I have a MGM copy of JOHANN MOUSE and the Walton version, and yes there is missing footage, I am unsure why they removed the footage as it would be a mere 2ft of film stock extra!? [Confused]
It is one of the favorite cartoons! [Big Grin]
Patrick

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2009 08:32 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I did not know about this WALTON tendency.
Do you have any idea if WALTON print of THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS has been edited in some way?
Will you please let me know? Thanks a lot [Wink] !

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2009 10:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian ...

Unfortunately, this is one of the cartoons that I do not own from either company.

By the way, my personal pick for the top Tom and Jerry release?

"Heavenly Puss"

I am still stunned by just how rich and saturated the colors are on this Derann print. You don't expect that rich of a range on most older cartoons, not even in the Disney releases, but that Heavenly Puss is an amazing exception. Pick it up if you have the chance!

I also heartily encourage any serious collector to round up a number of the original cineavision prints of the Tom and Jerry cartoons. The later cartoons, in scope, from this series are lackluster, but the earlier scope releases are quite good. Most of these Cineavision cartoon have held up in color quality quite well and are quite sharp to boot. I'll make a list if anyone is interested.

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2009 10:35 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Osi! I had been looking at the Walton releases. I'll stick with the MGM versions and hope for the best!

Looks like the Chuck Jones ones will be tough to find. I think only two of his were released. I'll keep searching!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 02:44 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi. Always very clear and well informed.
Ciao.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 02:45 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posted twice.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 01, 2009 08:11 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right, the Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry's are quite rare. I forget the name of the other one, but I do have "Purr Chance to Dream" which was also the very last Tom & Jerry cartoon short to be released to the movie theaters. It does have some slightly edited credits to it, and the cartoon only runs about five and a half minutes I believe, but it was nice to sewe that even in 1968, Chuck Jones was about the only one releasing fully animated cartoons that were still funny. The Depathe-Freleng cartoons, (Pink Panther/Inspectors) were already a lost cause and sadly, Walter lantz's cartoons by then, didn't look any different than what was produced for TV.

Also, "Purr Chance to Dream" was printed on a good stock, so you should luck out the first time when tracking it down.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC