8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » reposting in correct category

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: reposting in correct category
Brandon DeFrancisci
Junior

- posted November 05, 2009 11:41 AM      Profile for Brandon DeFrancisci   Email Brandon DeFrancisci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies. I just realized I posted this in the wrong section last night. Shouldn't have had that third Harp.

I've lurked here for a while. My wife has finally had it with the collection of super 8 movies we got from my parents. We're not likely to ever have the time or house for proper viewing and, well, I'm ok selling them. Here's the list, if you can, please provide me some guidance or fair offers. While I've been given the advice of going the ebay route. I'd rather work with individuals in a friendly forum. That said, I've gotten some idea what these sell for on ebay and on a few sites around the net. Today, someone from upstate NY offered me $75 for the entire set. I know that's way low and 100 times that is probably high. Other than that, I'm going in blind.
Aboard the Flat-top Midway 1949 12 min.
Adventures of Robin Hood abridged 1938 40 min.
Angels With Dirty Faces abridged 1938 40 min.
Barney Oldfield's Race for Life silent 1913 12 min.
Below Zero 1930 21 min.
Bored of Education 1936 11 min.
Busy Bodies 1933 20 min.
College silent 1927 68 min.
Cops silent 1922 19 min.
Days of the Thundering Herd silent 1914 25 min.
Double Whoopee silent 1929 20 min.
Fantastic Football Funnies 1970s?
Fence Buster (babe ruth) 13 min.
Filming the Big Thrills 11 min.
From Soup to Nuts silent 1928 20 min.
Habeus Corpus silent 1929 20 min.
Haunted Spooks silent 1920 21 min.
Hide and Shriek 1938 11 min.
High Noon 1952 84 min.
King Kong 1933 105 min.
King of Diamonds Lou Gerhig)
Live Ghost 1934 20 min.
Mickey Mouse First 50 Years 1979 15 min.
Music Box 1932 30 min.
Mystery of the Mary Celeste 1937 64 min.
Nosferatu silent 1922 70 min.
On the Road to Bali 1953 90 min.
One Week silent 1920 20 min.
Our Gang Follies of 1936 1936 18 min.
Pardon Us 1931 54 min.
Phantom of the Opera silent 1925 60 min.
Popeye Meets Sinbad
Pot 'O Gold 1941 88 min.
Quiet Please (tom&jerry)
Saps at Sea 1940 61 min.
Sons of the Desert 1934 66 min.
Stagecoach 1939 95 min.
Swiss Family Robinson Island of Mystery abridged 1960 8 min.
The African Queen 1951 105 min.
The Blacksmith silent 1922 20 min.
The Dentist 1932 22 min.
The Floorwalker silent 1916 22 min.
The General silent 1927 78 min.
The Godfather 1972 171 min.
The Laurel and Hardy Murder Case 1930 28 min.
The Monster Walks 1932 60 min.
The Producers 1968 88 min.
The Quiet Man 1952 129 min.
The Silent Partner 1955 25 min.
The Stolen Jools 1931 20 min.
The Thing 1952 80 min.
The Tramp silent 1915 20 min.
Them Thar Hills 1934 21 min.
Tillie's Punctured Romance silent 1914 44 min.
Tit for Tat 1935 19 min.
Two Tars silent 1928 22 min.
Way out West 1937 66 min.

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 12:45 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brandon,

Quite a list there [Smile] Lots of good films.

One of the key things is: condition of the print. Are they worn, with scratches, or mint, or somewhere in between? Is the sound good?
With color films in particular, partial to full fading to red is very prevalent, so that greatly affects the desirability of the color prints. You need to be able to at least look at the beginning of the actual film to see if the color is correct.

Also, one of these ('The Godfather') could be a widescreen print (Cinemascope) and that is another important thing to look at. The image will be 'squeezed' horizontally if you show the print without a 'scope lens, so that way you can ID such a print if it is in fact in 'scope.

Hope this helps.
Claus.

PS: I have e-mailed you.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 01:36 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have emailed you aswell [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 08:13 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Brandon, I also sent you a message.... [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 08:20 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think 'The Godfather' was shot in Scope, was it? [Confused]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 09:26 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

Thanks for the correction; it was flat, 1:1.85. I somehow remembered the Super-8 print that came out back then as being in 'scope. Maybe the print is matted to 1:1.85?

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 10:25 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus.... I thought I was going crazy! Ha. I believe it was 1.85, from what I remember. I've never owned any of the Marketing versions of the film, but remembered the run at the theatre back in the 70's.

Brandon DeFrancisci
Junior

- posted November 06, 2009 12:33 AM      Profile for Brandon DeFrancisci   Email Brandon DeFrancisci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some answers to the questions I've gotten:
-I am the son of the original owner and have kept the films in my house or temperature controlled storage since I've had them (my parents always had them in their house).
-Most of the shorter films are in the original boxes (mostly blackhawk).
-A few, Tom and Jerry, Micky Mouse, Swiss family, NFL are in original nice boxes.
-The Godfather is on 5 reels. I don't know if it's scope, wide, flat or whatever. I seem to recall it being that way but I'm too afraid to fire up the bolex and try it out for fear of screwing up the film and/or projector. I guess I need to figure out what kind of bolex it is and post it.
-These were all watched in a home setting several times. My memory of the sound was great and the films certainly good.
-The Mickey's first 50 years is the gold original box, numbered 347 of 5000.
-if there's a simple way to check for condition besides watching it, let me know.
-most were purchased in the late 70s early 80s.
-I'm not familiar with "reel size" terminology so I can't help you there.

Let me know if there are other questions. I'll have more time to look at the stuff tomorrow night.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 02:24 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brandon, the colour condition would be the main concern of most people looking to buy them (the colour ones), assuming they have been taken good care of otherwise.

You can tell the colour condition by unwinding the first few feet of the film and looking at it. If it is black or you can see some blue, then it has little or no fade, if you see a reddish or brownish colour then the colour has faded.

You need to wind just past leader into the start of the film proper to tell.

Good luck and a great collection. Your father had taste!

David

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 09:31 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel size is the size of the reels that the films are on, measured in feet.

You can easily measure the reel size with a normal ruler, by measuring the diameter of the reel in inches, and then using this table:

5" - 200 feet of film;
6" - 300 feet;
7" - 400 feet;
8" - 600 feet;
9 3/4" - 800 feet;
10 1/2" - 1200 feet.

As for The Godfather, its probably on 5x800, as it's 3600 ft for 3 hrs of film.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Brandon DeFrancisci
Junior

- posted November 08, 2009 11:32 PM      Profile for Brandon DeFrancisci   Email Brandon DeFrancisci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In looking at the first few feet of the Godfather reel 5, I'd say there's some fading. However, I'm trying to get the old Bolex SM8 to work so I can check out them all. Here's a copy of my post elsewhere in case anyone has any ideas.

Good day. I've just plugged in my Bolex sm8 to take a look at some of the old films I'm planning on selling. Is there any trick to the auto feed button? Everything else appears to be working but this key function. The film slides in over the top of the roller but nothing happens when I push down. Hasn't been used for 20 years.

thanks in advace for any pointers

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2009 12:34 AM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brandon, did you get my email? Hans

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 03:24 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Brandon for the near mint print of THE THING. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 06:05 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brandon - I have sent you an offer via E-mail - Ray

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC