8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » NEW SUPER 8mm release-SUPER HEROES AND MYTHS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEW SUPER 8mm release-SUPER HEROES AND MYTHS
Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2010 02:39 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a call from Leon Norris, by surprise, and he told me there is an article in Steve Osbourne's Reel Image. I haven't seen it yet but tells of a new release I have. I'm calling it Superheroes & Myths. It contains the following trailers: WATCHMEN, SHERLOCK HOLMES, CLASH OF THE TITANS(2010), & IRON MAN 2. I heard from Ludwig and he said it should come back from striping this coming up week. It will take about 2 weeks to ship from Germany. Then it has to be recorded by Lance. Lance is usually pretty quick but I cannot speak for him. So it should be available some time in July, hopefully.

Since I no longer have a customer base it will only be released through Steve Osbourne. It is full 2:40 scope retaining as much top and bottom as possible with only a small amount of black on the sides, not even noticeable. Steve wanted the striping on both sides so it will be stereo as best it can be considering the striping.

Now the price. Fortunately, I was able to get the negative done for very little. That was a great savings. I have ordered 10 prints for starters just to see how much it will all cost. I am keeping one, Steve has ordered 3 prints. So if you want one call Steve at 937-296-9036 or write to him at:

2520 Blackhawk Road
Kettering Ohio 45420
USA

My pictures don't come out as good as Gian's but here are some screen shots:

-

-

-

-

I'm hoping to release more as I have 4 more negatives. But I want to see how these go to determine how much to order.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 19, 2010 03:50 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry,

Great news! I'm thrilled that you're putting out a new release and it's wonderful that Lance is handling the audio recording. I'm not a huge fan of trailers but to show my support I've just left an order with Steve.

Many thanks and I hope this leads to more new Super 8mm product!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2010 02:52 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good enough to have an idea about the prints, Larry [Wink] .
Ciao.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This great news as always we need new releases. I only hope that things are better with the striping on the acetate prints. The last time I bought a new feature coming from Germany with recording from Lance, the sound and physical track was so bad I had to get rid of the print and go for the DVD instead.

I hate to write like this because I will always love super 8 sound films but honestly, it was the best way for me to solve the problem. Perhaps in part, there was alot of frustration waiting for the print to arrive and then finding out it wasn't any good. I haven't bought new super 8 films since and it's been 2 years. Somewhere in this forum there is a lengthly post concerning the print of Jurassic Park that I had. You can find the details there if anyone is interested. The major issue of JP was the sound. Both the way in which it was applied to the print, and the recording as well. For the record, picture quality was excellent on the print I had. With all due respect to those who helped me obtain the print.

CG

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2010 05:59 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you guys give some info concerning the striping of these prints? Who handles it? I have a lot of stuff to be striped and I don't want to run out of my stripe stock.

Thanx

--------------------
Maurizio

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 21, 2010 07:20 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry - Congratulations on producing this release, it's great to see a 'legend' of the Super 8 world back in business! Are you calling this an 'LA Films' release? There's nothing like a new release to revitalise collectors on this forum!

Chip - I've bought numerous acetate films printed (and presumably striped) at the German lab, and I must say that the striping has always seemed faultless. It has been as reliable as the old days of Kodak pre-striped stock, so you were very unfortunate with regard to the problems with your particular print.

[ June 22, 2010, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 21, 2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree! LA films got me started in this hobby. [Smile]
Im going to call Steve this week and get one.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2010 05:30 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry thats great!

Yes, I was a big customer of Larry too in the 70's/80's, so its good to have a new release from L.A. Films / Reel Image!

Incidently, the sound stripe problem seems to have been resolved. The last few trailers I purchased (Dark Knight, Sith, etc.) had outstanding quality, and were already re-recorded to stereo when I bought them brand new from The Reel Image. I don't know how it sounded before it was re-recorded, but the stereo track was great.

Maurizio-

I'm not sure who stipes the German prints, but EVT Electronics does GREAT work sound striping home movie films. They are in the U.K., and I'm sure there is info on them somewhere in this forum.

James.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2010 07:03 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer reels are being printed in Germany along with the sound striping.

Chip-I remember that posting of JR and although I'm a little concerned there is simply nothing I can do as they are the only ones in the world as far as I know that do super 8mm printing. I'm trying to put my best foot forward and see what happens.

At the moment, since I no longer have a customer base, I am having Steve Osbourne at Reel Image to distribute them. I did contact Derann also but I will wait to get the reels and send them one before I go any furthur. I already have other negatives to print.

Here is the digital file of the trailer reel as a preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T5XEPcR__I

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 22, 2010 07:52 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - the preview looks great!

I wasn't sure about the titles, but having seen this, I must have one! Larry, is this a digital copy of the 35mm prints as opposed to the Super 8 version? This is a nice shot in the arm for Super 8. Even in this day and age, I suspect you'll need considerably more than 10 prints.

Good idea also to approach Derann. As a UK collector, all the LA Films reels I bought new in the 1980s were supplied by them.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2010 02:39 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've contacted Steve, as well, as I'd like to have this as well. Bravo!

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2010 08:00 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to contact Steve and order a print myself. As to the stripe issue....I've had several of Steve's new releases...trailers to Revenge of the Sith...Goldfinger...North by Northwest....all with tremendous sound... the striping issue seems to have been solved near as I can tell.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2010 01:48 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reels have arrived. The sound still needs to be transferred. Here are some screen shots of the actual super 8mm:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2010 01:51 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Larry!

That print looks great. The German lab seems to be very consistent in its work. Will the track be in stereo by chance?

James.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 28, 2010 05:49 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very impressive! Both the contrast and colour look nice. I heard that the lab are now using polyester stock for some releases so I wondered if that's the case with yours? If so, it's good news both in terms of print quality and also because it would confirm that any striping issues have been resolved.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2010 02:02 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At present I have 10 acetate prints that have stereo tracks and 2 polyestar prints that have mono tracks. Steve Osbourne has already ordered 8 of them. I don't really want to say much more until I get the reels back from recording. I should mention that the pictures above were taken using my GS 1200 with a f1.0 lens.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2010 02:01 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I love it when a plan comes together!"

After all the R&D to get this reel out, it gave me chills to WATCH & HEAR this reel. The stereo sound is just outstanding. Lance was even impressed with not only the DVD to film transfer, but the quality of the mag stripe. Quote from Lance, "You did an outstanding job producing the master DVD for these reels and this is one of the best new items we have seen in ages. I think your customers will be happy. I also think the German Labs have finally got a good method of laying the mag stripes now compared to Derann and others. In our opinion still not as good as the old days but not too shabby."

So maybe someone like Doug can give an unbiased review of the reel when he gets it.

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2010 04:22 AM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry,

A hearty congratulations to you for your efforts and we also appreciate the plug. Standing by for re-orders in the future.

LA

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC