8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » The Tell Tale Heart RARE standard 8mm sound print on ebay! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Tell Tale Heart RARE standard 8mm sound print on ebay!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 18, 2012 01:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my info from Leonard Maltin's "Of Mice and Magic", one of the top sources on all things in American animation. At least it was for many years.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2012 03:02 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, this is what the Wiki entry says

quote:
In May 1953, pre-production started on The Tell-Tale Heart, which originally was intended to be a 3-D film.[1] However, it is not known whether or not the film was animated in this fashion, and it was not released in 3D if it was. There is no reference to 3D in a technical trade review.[2] Furthermore, the leaders on original prints of the film do not indicate it ever was part of a pair of 3D prints, typical of all other 3D pictures.[3]
and this from IMDB, which curiously mentions the very 8mm prints that Columbia put out has giving the impression that the film was 3-D. I wonder if they mean that goofy "Ultra-Sonic Sound" logo?

quote:
Rumors for years surrounding this film would have it being in 3-D. However, absolutely no trade magazines list the production as being in 3-D (even pre-filming announcements and in-production articles), and according to Grover Crisp, head of the restoration unit at Sony/Columbia, the original negative bears absolutely no markings that would indicate that the film had any 3-D origins. It is speculated, based on several collectors' memories, that the myth started when super8mm editions of the film were labeled with 3-D stickers by accident, around the same time that stickers were being put on the 3-D shorts that Columbia was releasing in that format.

[ December 18, 2012, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Timothy Ramzyk ]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 18, 2012 03:48 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember some of the Heritage films advertised with
Ultrasonic sound, "Beast From Haunted Cave" being one of them,
so it must have been a gimmick of some sort.As for labels being
put on S/8 prints,as far as I'm aware it wasn't released on S/8.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2012 06:59 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hunch is that when they say Super 8, they just mean 8mm in general. "Super 8" seems to be generic term these days.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 18, 2012 07:08 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose Timothy that we should be grateful that this little film
is available at all,personally i don't miss the colour, as I find it
very atmospheric, and it reminds me of the illustrations from the
Ziff Davis publication "Weird Tales",and a genuine rarity.It's a pity
that more of Poe's tales were not done in this manner as they certainly lend themselves to this particular treatment.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2012 02:16 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've loved this film from day one. I must have seen it as a kid, because in 92 I worked on a theatrical production of the THE TELL-TALE HEART, and my set sketches bare a strong resemblance to the cartoon. So much so that when I got my hands on a Columbia VHS of it, a was surprised how I'd been influenced having not seen it since I was a child.

-

Over the the years since I've picked up the 8mm print, bought the special edition of HELLBOY on DVD because it's hidden as an extra, and finally last years JOLLY FROLICS boxed set of UPA cartoons.

I fully agree, there weren't enough Poe cartoons, or horror cartoons in general.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 19, 2012 06:01 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Those set designs are nothing less than excellent,I think talent
like yours Timothy deserves recognition,indeed you could even
make versions of Poe's tales yourself.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 20, 2012 12:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy ...

Did you get my PM? I can't recieve PM's but for some reason, I can still send them. If you didn't get it, then please send me your e-mail in some form so I can converse with you about this title.

OSI

--------------------

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2012 04:17 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those set designs are nothing less than excellent,I think talent
like yours Timothy deserves recognition,indeed you could even
make versions of Poe's tales yourself.

Wow, Hugh! Thank you, I'm very flattered. It did get produced some twenty years ago with the old man being portrayed by a life-sized puppet (they're easier to dismember than actors).

-

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 20, 2012 08:19 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That poster is fantasic, it looks the business and by looking at the
puppets I would think this is definately not for the young, I would
think Tim Burton would approve.I honestly think a series of Poe
stories in the style of what I have seen here,they need only be
ten minutes long, much like Ray Harryhausens Fairy tale series,
I believe would be very popular.Some years back I remember
one of the UK TV channels putting on a series of short films
based on Shakespeare's plays, each one was done differently as
in animated drawings, plastimation, marionettes etc and were
all hugely entertaining.Have you ever considered doing something similar.There was an amateur film maker over here
by the name of Sheila Graber who won the Ten Best with one
of her films on S/8 and her films were released by one of the
8mm distributors over here for sale.I would love to see you do
an animated version of "The Raven" in the same style of those set drawings, while Vincent Price read the poem on the track.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2012 09:08 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, we did market this adaptation to middle and high schools. The very first audience walked out becuse the script had the word pis(s) in it, so we changed it. Oddly enough objections were never against the violence, just the moral ambiguity of the script.

I do agree that Poe has and does lend itself well to animation and the short subject. I'm a fan of the work of East European animator Jan Svankmajer, who did a nifty PIT & THE PENDULUM.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 21, 2012 01:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The item sold for 21.00 dollars, not too shabby for B/W standard 8mm sound. I'm happy, (though always sad to pass on fun films!)

--------------------

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2012 02:32 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually had I had the ability to watch reg. 8 sound, I'd have never sold my print.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2012 10:49 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Joe... but this does exist on Super 8 sound. I have one so I can confirm it's true! It's just so tragic that Columbia never released this in color. When I saw it in color on DVD I realized how important the color was - even though the imagery is dark. I also have the James Mason Tell Tell Heart record he recorded which is different than the soundtrack to the film. It was nominated for an Oscar but lost to a Disney cartoon.

[ December 22, 2012, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Brian Hendel ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC