8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Offers on Optical prints?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Offers on Optical prints?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 17, 2013 12:35 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the impression most people don't like optical as much, so they're cheaper. Anyone has some REALLY cheap ones for sale?

Open to offers

Thank you

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 02:49 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know why people don't like optical sound, I have a number in my collection that are fine. It could be not many optical sound projectors were available, or the prints were used and with them been mainly airline prints they could be edited.

I bought some new from Derann & Powell Films and the sound was quite low on them. In the UK I think these two companies were the only ones to release optical sound, and only 200ft & 400ft releases. I did read about Disney also releasing in optical, but I never saw them.

Also some airline shorts were 'white boxed' I bought a few of them too.

The sad part is they just destroyed them after they were used.

The ones I have like Dr No, Conduct Unbecoming, Revenge Of The Pink Panther (missing part) are quite good. I have one called Charge Of The Model T's a contender far the worst film. It even uses bits from The Great Race.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 02:57 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had only one Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy short with optical track and the quality was good like magnetic sound prints.
The german company Piccolo Film released also few optical prints.

Ups, nearly my complete collection has optical track (35mm and 16mm) [Wink] [Smile] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 17, 2013 03:16 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some very nice prints to be obtained in opt. snd, I still
cherish my print of "PALE RIDER" in S/8 and the print colourwise
is stunning,far better than a colour one I sold a couple of years
ago."THE BIG SLEEP" and "DEATH ON THE NILE" also excellent.
Indeed I would go so far as to say comparable to 16mm.
Vidar,give Ian at Perry's a bell or Tony Reypert at Buckingham
Films, I would be very suprised if they haven't any opt. prints in
stock.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 04:39 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh Death On The Nile mine too is a good print both sound & picture. Used to buy lots of optical prints from Famous Films in Miami, always used to get Christmas card from them Art & Evelyn.

Got a good print of Force Ten From Navarone from them. Seems not a lot of critics liked this but I enjoy it that's all that matters. Plus its got great music by Ron Goodwin.

In Film For The Collector someone tried to list what was available in optical sound

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 17, 2013 04:43 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish these guys had updated web sites :-/

Asked for lists from several, but don't seem to get any. Just joined a couple of newsletters and a magazine, hope some more lists will follow there. CHC had a new years sale, I still haven't gotten the lists, so I might have lost out on a few good deals there :-)

Thanks and do let me know if any of you want to offload some cheap ones (maybe you not like all of the ones you have?)

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 04:49 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing optical sound films for sale.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 17, 2013 05:20 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, yes I remember and that person was no less than Osi himself, although there were quite a few titles that were missing from the list,it made interesting reading.
Vidar, for CHCs list, just go to dealers on the forum and click onto his website,which is up to date.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 18, 2013 01:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will never know all the titles that were actually released in optical sound super 8, (and believe it or not, even a few standard 8mm optical sound features, one of which was "Futureworld") ...

... as so many were immediately destroyed, by order of the studios. Those that survive are quite amazing at times. My two really big finds on optical super 8 are the two animated features ...

A Boy Nmaed Charlie Brown
Snoopy Come Home

What fascinates about these two prints is that they do not have a single bit of fade to them, and they were printed in 1969 and the other in 1972. I believe that the reason that they have held up so well is that they were not done by the same film lab that did the MGM titles on optical super 8 (which all have varying states of fade). Those two features were done by "Film Cinema Centers" (I think, the same company that also had a release contract with John Waynes company, "Batjac Productions").

Now, it has actually been proved that Technicolor did release some Super 8 technicolor prints (and not just eastman color prints in technicolor cartridges, which was the general rule), as someone on this very forum had the article (from the Technicolor company) that actually stated that they were printing some technicolor super 8, and Technicolor was still actually in production at that time (the last actual film being shot with Technicolor cameras and with technicolor film being "The Godfather" in 1972) ...

so there is a possibility that these two prints might well be technicolor. I know that 16MM prints tended to have "IB tech" printed in the sprocket area, but these two animated films have no writing at all in the sprocket area, so it's a "reel" mystery!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 18, 2013 01:48 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I am wrong, but I meant optical sound features ... There's always a lower price on those on the lists I did get. And my Memories of Me is optical and cost me I believe 35 GBP or so. If I had the money, I'd have bought Remo Williams which was on eBay a few weeks ago. Also sold for little over 40

I can't find a single title marked optical on CHC lists and they are not 100% updated anyway, I asked for Pit and the Pendulum, it was sold, but is still on there.

Thanks, I'll be looking around when I get Steve Osbornes list, CHC newsletter and the magazines.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 19, 2013 04:46 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding CHCs list Vidar, they are as up to date as any you'll sub
too, his listing comes out regularly,but with few changes.As for
opt. prints, the dealers might have some on the shelves still, as
they believe that there isn't a market for them.I know when I
had a couple of good titles for sale "PALE RIDER" & "CITY HEAT",
as I had duplicate copies of both, they were not very enthusiastic,
but got a good price from Buckingham films.The dealers feel that
opt snd projectors are not commonplace, therefore neither are
the prints.Tony might have some at Buckingham,or Ian at Perry's.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 19, 2013 04:57 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will try to drop them a line. Thanks

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2013 11:39 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a full feature of George Hamilton and Susan Saint James in "Love at first bite" I'm asking $60 for. Thanks again [Smile] !!!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 22, 2013 11:51 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you take a few pictures to let me see quality?

As I said to you before, I am a bit interested in it, thought it's not in my top 100 or even 1000 I guess. I mean, I could have gotten Remo Williams for a little less, which is a better film. Any chance of dropping the price a bit?

Take care, hope you got over the christmas and new yeasr okay. Looking forward to getting the movies you sent (though it's still some weeks away I guess)

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2013 01:09 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Vidar,
thank you very much for your quick response, as always, good sir! I appreciate the kind words and did have a great holiday season and hope you did as well. As for the screen shots (it does have some fade but I don't think it's bad. Your opinion is the one tht matters, however ), I will be sure to send you some this evening and seeing as you are my number one client, I can let it for $50, sir [Wink] ! I'll e-mail you the pix late this evening and talk soon [Smile] !!!

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2013 10:35 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Now, it has actually been proved that Technicolor did release some Super 8 technicolor prints (and not just eastman color prints in technicolor cartridges, which was the general rule), as someone on this very forum had the article (from the Technicolor company) that actually stated that they were printing some technicolor super 8, and Technicolor was still actually in production at that time (the last actual film being shot with Technicolor cameras and with technicolor film being "The Godfather" in 1972)...so there is a possibility that these two prints might well be technicolor. I know that 16MM prints tended to have "IB tech" printed in the sprocket area, but these two animated films have no writing at all in the sprocket area, so it's a "reel" mystery!"

The last 35mm film printed in IB Tech in the U.S. was "Godfather, Part 2". It was not shot with a three-strip Technicolor camera. It was derived from an Eastman color negative and printed in dye transfer, the same as other Tech films since the mid-1950s. The last film shot with a three-strip camera was "Foxfire" in 1955. U.S. 16mm Technicolor prints did not have "Technicolor" printed anywhere on them, they had no ID on them at all. 35mm Technicolor prints had the standard Eastman info in the sprocket area since they were printed on Eastman blank stock. I had many IB prints in 16mm and 35mm but have never seen one in the 8mm guage.

--------------------
John Hermes

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 23, 2013 04:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John. Last time I was in Classic Home Cinemas shop he had a very cheap optical feature of Bugsy Malone which you might want to enquire about. The sale is still on as far as I know.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC