8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » The Thing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Thing
Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2017 11:33 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like someone is selling a solid, tested print of THE THING on Ebay.

Just thought I'd give heads up, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-8MM-SOUND-THE-THING-FROM-ANOTHER-WORLD-1951-/152435155515?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

|  IP: Logged

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2017 12:41 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the heads up Timothy! I've been hoping to find a nice super 8 print since selling my decent dupe on 16mm.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 16, 2017 01:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The Thing from Another World 1951 ...just for clarification, not of course the 1982 highly rated classic!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2017 02:04 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I probably would have kept a decent dupe of the 1982 version! Haven't seen many around

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 16, 2017 02:38 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder who released this? I can't recall previously coming across any version other than the Ken 200' silent release.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Nostalgia Merchant released it on Super 8mm in the US. They released quite a few RKO titles. However, there were complaints about low sound on some of their prints. Since these were licensed legal releases and not dupes, simply having Lance re-record the soundtrack will result in a nice print. Having said this, there were a few complaints about the lab work on some titles but there are good quality prints out there and this may be one of them. Mountain Films in the UK released some of the same titles but many were edited. The Nostalgia Merchant prints were not. I do not think many Nostalgia Merchant titles are out there because right from the beginning there were complaints about the soundtracks which I am sure affected sales. Also, at the time they released the RKO titles the cost per print was quite high.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 16, 2017 05:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The one advertised btw, is said to most likely be a "dupe" print of unknown origin.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 16, 2017 06:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print of The Thing From Another World is decent. The audio is good and the night scenes are well timed.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Daniel Perry
Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2017 10:48 AM      Profile for Daniel Perry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film is what solidified me as a "monsterkid" back in the mid 70's. The school I went to screened the condensed version of this and The Incredible Shrinking Man at a Halloween party hosted in the cafeteria. I was blown away by this film and it's still one of my all time favorites.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC