8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Plan 9 From Outer Space 4x400'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan 9 From Outer Space 4x400'
Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 21, 2017 09:25 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Can your heart stand the shocking facts about grave robbers from outer space?"

This is the Mountain Films Super 8mm sound 4x400' slightly abridged version of "Plan 9 From Outer Space", and it includes Criswell's prologue and epilogue.
Print comes in its original boxes. Only the box for reel 1 has artwork. All head and tail leaders are intact. There is only one splice, towards the end of reel 3, where just a few frames are missing.
The screenshots are from this print. The film looks good, just a little bit light in the contrast department. Due to the way they were printed, reels 1 and 4 have a thin white edge visible on the extreme right of the frame (see pictures). Reels 2 & 3 are fine. There is the occasional thin line and there is the usual negative wear at the very end of each reel.

The price is $200 plus shipping. PayPal, money order or check accepted. Will ship worldwide, however please note that the full value will be declared on customs info.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ December 03, 2017, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Dave Ruth
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2017 11:00 AM      Profile for Dave Ruth   Email Dave Ruth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes this 'slightly abridged'?

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2017 11:55 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly Mountains' contract, I believe nearly all their releases were slightly edited for this or cost reasons.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 25, 2017 05:40 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I know Mountain did not include the scene of Bela Lugosi picking flowers outside his house. That's the only one I'm aware of. Brian Hendel might know....he's very familiar with Plan 9.

Doug

--------------------

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 06:56 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Doug - I have watched Plan 9 more than I would like to admit! The most offensive cut of the Mountain print is the section of Bela smelling the flowers outside his real home and then getting run over by a car (off camera). That scene is integral to the film and was part of the footage Ed Wood shot of Bela before his death that inspired him to make a feature around it. It's a historic piece of footage! The rest of the cuts in the abridged version were mostly talking scenes on the spaceship. They actually make the film move a bit quicker... BUT if you don't have the uncut Red Fox print the Mountain release is definitely worth adding to your collection. After all, who doesn't need "The Worst Movie Ever Made"?!?!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 03, 2017 02:18 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dropping price to $200. It won't go any lower!

Doug

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 02:22 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I have noted many times before,Mountain did release their features complete in the standard 8 and early super8 days.Later,they cut them all to 4x400. ("King Kong","Hunchback of Notre Dame","The Last Command","Run of the Arrow",etc,etc)

Moshe Yitzhak
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 02:35 AM      Profile for Moshe Yitzhak   Email Moshe Yitzhak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im intrested - PM'ed

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 04, 2017 08:56 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Responded!

--------------------

Dave Ruth
Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2017 12:57 PM      Profile for Dave Ruth   Email Dave Ruth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did this end up selling Doug?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 09, 2017 04:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I heard back from Moshe and he intends to purchase the film.

Doug

[ December 09, 2017, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC