8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Wanted: Blackhawk films Silver box edition Great Train Robbery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted: Blackhawk films Silver box edition Great Train Robbery
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 15, 2019 12:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking specifcially for a super 8 "silver box edition" of "The Great Train Robbery" as i am going to do an article for Steve osbournes book on the different versions that they released of this. So far, i have ran into two different versions, both on standard 8mm that have two very different editing to the stories (quite interesting if you project them side by side), and I want to get the silver box edition (I'm pretty sure that they released this as a silver box edition), just to see if the print quality was better (as the silver box editions tended to be from new negatives) and if the edit of it was different, making a yet third version from Blackhawk films.

Anyone have one?

Best wishes

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 16, 2019 10:59 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silver edition has the outlaw shooting at the start and end - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2019 12:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very interesting Shorty ...

Was this the way the original film actually began and ended? It would seem that if they were to make corrections it would be on that last (probably) super 8 release.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 16, 2019 01:04 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Theater managers in 1903 could choose whether to have the outlaw (George Barnes) fire at the audience at the beginning or the end.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2019 02:05 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the shooting scene is at the end only.All older film history books say so.To have a "teaser" scene in 1903 seems rather improbable at that early period. Perhaps some later distributor did it,so,it is not "official".

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 17, 2019 08:24 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
interesting though

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 17, 2019 12:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do know that the earlier standard 8mm copy (before Blackhawk printed from better sources) has the close-up of the gun firing at both the beginning and ending. The edit of that version is unlike any i have ever seen before.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC