8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Need magnetic head for Toei Talkie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need magnetic head for Toei Talkie
David Evans
Junior

- posted October 30, 2005 12:57 PM      Profile for David Evans   Email David Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Have been reading your postings with great interest & now have completed registration!

I have a Toei Talkie Std 8 mag/optical sound projector with an open-circuit magnetic head. Does anyone have a spare, or parts projector with head, for sale? So far I have adapted a head from an old audio cassette player (required filing away part of the casing so it doesn't rub on the film & altering the mounting arrangements) with some success, but would rather fit an original head if possible.

Thanks for posting all the wonderful topics - am still reading it all!

Regards from Revelstoke Canada.

David Evans

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 01, 2005 02:51 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David and welcome to the forum.
I gather your projector is Japanese (Toei is a big film studio in Japan), right? I have never seen one of these. Care to share a picture with us?

JM

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Evans
Junior

- posted November 01, 2005 11:17 PM      Profile for David Evans   Email David Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc

Thanks for the kind welcome!

Yes, the Toei Talkie is Japanese. It is very well engineered, probably the best, or one of the best, Std 8 machines I've come across. It has both magnetic and optical sound facilities. Toei advertised that they were going to introduce a wide range of 8mm films with optical sound tracks, but I believe it never happened, so the facility is more of historical interest than practical use.

I'm not sure if pictures can be uploaded to the Forum, but in the mean time I have put some at

http://members.aol.com:/dwinwoodevans/Toei

which I hope you will be able to access.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards from Revelstoke BC

David

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 02, 2005 02:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David.
Cute little guy, this Toei.
You may upload pictures here, click on the "upload" button on the top-left frame and follow instructions.
For the benefit of others, I've put the first one up:

-

regards,

JM

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Evans
Junior

- posted November 02, 2005 11:50 AM      Profile for David Evans   Email David Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc

Thanks! Actually I saw the button at the last moment as I sent the message!

The machine has a metal cover with loudspeaker in it with a long connecting wire and jack plug, so you can put the speaker 50 feet away. I use it with a B&H speaker I have permanently next to my screen. The Toei dates from early 1960s.

Regards

David

John Challenor
Junior

- posted November 02, 2005 05:31 PM      Profile for John Challenor   Email John Challenor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever seen a std. 8 optical print?

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2005 02:04 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of these but it refuses to run at 24fps for loger that twenty minutes,whereupon it slows down dramatically and the motor gets very hot.
Any ideas???

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

David Evans
Junior

- posted November 08, 2005 10:51 PM      Profile for David Evans   Email David Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry

Mine did that at first, then stopped altogether. The motor starting/phase shifting capacitor had gone leaky & I changed it for a new one (can be seen to the right of the motor in the pic showing the inside of the machine - see link I posted earlier). Has been fine ever since.

Hope that helps.

If not, maybe you could sell me the magnetic sound head???? <G>

Regards

David Evans

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2005 05:07 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave you are a star! Only this morning,with renewed interest (not being the only guy who owns one of these) I run the machine up and,yes,it slowed down.Switched it off,rested for five minutes,switched back on and it was back up to speed then of course.........
However this time I noticed that the ver capacitor you are on about was getting very warm.I will now try and locate new replacement.
Will keep you posted and thanks again.
Barry.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

David Evans
Junior

- posted November 09, 2005 10:48 AM      Profile for David Evans   Email David Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I got mine from Cricklewood Electronics in London. (I was in UK until last year...) Very useful firm, excellent range of parts etc. Usual disclaimers!

Regards

David

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2005 12:08 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,for reference,the next time you are in the back of your Toei,could you post the electrical values of the new capacitor you have fitted? i.e your mains voltage and mf values etc.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

David Evans
Junior

- posted November 18, 2005 12:45 AM      Profile for David Evans   Email David Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I used a 6 uF 450 volt AC working capacitor made for motor starting applications - less likely to give problems in future if it's made for the job. The value is not all that critical. These would be listed by many electronics parts suppliers, with luck.

Best wishes.

David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC