8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Looking For Moni Out/ Elmo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking For Moni Out/ Elmo
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 03, 2006 04:22 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a Moni(aux/headset) out part for an Elmo Traveler 100 Series projector. It is the female part on the back. [Cool]

-

[ August 03, 2006, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 03, 2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you're looking for a replacement 3.5mm jack?

(Is it a mono or stereo jack?)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 03, 2006 09:27 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, that's it, a 3.5mm jack. I think it's mono, hence moni.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 03, 2006 09:51 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think "moni" is short for "monitor" (or was that a subtle joke on your part?) [Wink]

Let me see what my DOA/parts units can do for you...

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 03, 2006 10:38 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jan. Monitor, right! Eureka! No subtle joke, my mistake. The Traveler is a monuaral projector though. [Cool]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 04, 2006 12:22 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the monitor jacks on many (if not all) the Elmo models are much the same... here's one from an ST-1200 amp board I have lying around:

-

And from behind:

-

Seems to be just a matter of cutting the wires and unscrewing the nut at the front of the connector, and then it's all yours. Will this do? [Smile]

--------------------

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2006 05:03 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

AFAIK you can attach any headphone with a 3.5mm-plug to the monitor-socket. You should find one at woolworth (e.g.) for less than 5 EUR [Wink]

Jörg

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 04, 2006 10:18 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, a monitor socket or headphones? And where in the world is Woolworth, sounds awfully British...

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 04, 2006 01:43 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woolworths was a 5 and 10 cent store here a few decades back. Ah yes, brings back memories of soda fountains, cheap toys and notions. [Eek!]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 04, 2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, then it's another one of those pre-1996 American things.

All of my memories before '96 were made in Germany. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2006 08:31 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan: Just walk into your local Radio Shack and ask them for a 1/4 inch female "phone plug" jack (although the 20 year old working there might not call it a phone plug anymore!). Then you'll have to solder it onto the board... If you are using walkman/ipod headphones, you'll also need a 1/4 -> 1/8th inch (mini) adapter.

Jan: Woolworths was still in buisness in my part of the US until a couple years ago... It's still around in the UK (although I think it's a different company that owned the rights to the same name).

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 05, 2006 09:52 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's why I thought it had a British ring to it...

--------------------

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2006 02:58 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas & Woolworth’s! The perfect combination [Smile] Remember all those lovely K-Tel products & the button-matic. [Big Grin]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 05, 2006 07:33 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Gents, Woolworths is British as far as i know. When they started out (before i was born) they didnt sell anything over a britsh penny.

They are still going in most British towns but I'm not sure you would find headphones or the plugs and sockets in any of the stores.

Thats a 3.5mm mono socket on those Elmo machines and you should be able to find those in your local Radio Shack or have they gone down the pan now?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 05, 2006 11:29 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, Woolworths were everywhere here is the states before and after I was born. They were called five & ten cent stores. No electronics except maybe small transitor radios. [Smile]

Radio shack doesn't carry a match on that 3.5mm jack. [Cool]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 06, 2006 03:37 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

look for "3.5mm 2-Conductor Panel-Mount Phone Jack"
Model: 274-248 | Catalog #: 274-248

on the Radio Shack web site.

[ August 06, 2006, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 06, 2006 02:58 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, the Elmo jack appears to be a 3-conductor gadget, i.e. it's interconnected with the speaker output (via a resistor, as shown in my photo) and turns it off when something is plugged in. Now I'm guessing something like that can be found at Radio Shack as well, but it isn't just a simple 2-pin mono jack.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 06, 2006 06:05 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, Your right. I did a search on F W Woolworth and found that the first store opened in 1878 in New York so yes it was turly a US company although not under that name to start with.

Makes interesting reading: Wolworths History

I must say I thought it was UK but there you go....I got it wrong [Frown] We didnt get our first store till 1909.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 06, 2006 10:27 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting reading Kev. When I was a young boy I would ride my bike to the small group of stores we called East Atlanta. There I would get a hair cut, visit Woolworths and the hobby/record shop and take in a double feature at the Madison Theatre all for less that a dollar. No that's what I call a bargain! [Cool]

I'll look again, but I think that 3.5mm jack was soldered to a board.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC