8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Looking For super 8 Elmo Reels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking For super 8 Elmo Reels
Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2006 07:15 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey All,

I am looking for a few 600ft or 800ft takeup Elmo reels for a st 800. I tried using other takeup reels, and they are not the right weight and slow down in the rewinding. I am doing a winter film series, and they would come in handy.

Thanks Brad

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 18, 2006 09:14 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak with certainty about the 600 foot reel, but the Gepe 800 footer is reputed to be almost an exact clone of the Elmo 800 footer (differences: the color of the plastic and the film length markings).

I have seen the Elmo 800' reel and I use the Gepe 800 footer as a take-up on my Elmo ST-800, and I would say they are cast from the same original pattern.

The added bonus is the protective case they come with. It does a good job protecting the reel when you take your show on the road!

Here's where I got mine:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlis t&A=details&Q=&sku=20537&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

PS: The problem with your takeup is probably not the weight of the reels but the diameter of the hubs. The ST-800 seems to be set up for a large diameter center hub on the takeup reel. Using a smaller diameter hub magnifies the effective drag of the belts and gears that are attached to the takeup spindle and will cause the clutch on the supply spindle to slip when you rewind anything larger than a 200 footer. The Gepe reel fixes this.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2006 10:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct Steve;GEPE anmd ELMO are the same.I have both type of spools in my film collection.I find the gepe a great spool.Andy.

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2006 04:12 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,Steve when did you last purchase your GEPE 800 reels from B&H Thanks Alex Fox

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 23, 2006 08:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alex,

A little reconstructive remembering has me thinking it was September, 2004. I bought a print of "The Music Box" that summer and it came in at 500+ feet on an 800 foot reel. Since the largest take-up reel I had for any of my projectors was a 400 footer, I bought the Gepe 800 footer so I could actually watch the film all the way through!

The bonus turned out to be radically improved rewind performance from my ST-800.

I have every reason to believe they are still available.

The Gepe 800 footer is kind of an odd member of that family. If you look at the 200, 300, 400 and 600 footers, they look alike. The 800 footer design is definitely different. It's as if they wanted an 800 foot reel in the series, but it was cheaper to buy Elmo's design than do their own.

As I've said before, the 300 footer is actually my favorite, because I keep winding up with overstuffed 200 footers that spill film all over the table, but live quite happily on the Gepe 300 foot reel. They also take those films on lightly loaded 400 foot reels and allow them to take up less shelf space.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC