8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Rewind Arms for Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rewind Arms for Super 8
Jason Redmond
Junior

- posted February 15, 2007 07:16 AM      Profile for Jason Redmond   Email Jason Redmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I've just bought some FilmGuard from Paul Foster and am looking to clean up a few of my old prints - especially the Thief of Baghdad, which needs a bit of TLC (!) - but I'm thinking, having read some of the forum comments, that a pair of rewind arms for Super 8mm might help me enormously. Any ideas as to how I might find a pair?
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 15, 2007 08:04 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Elmo made some 8mm rewinds but I use a normal Editor. Lets face it all editors have rewind arms attached. The Motorised Stereo Goko which I use can take 1200ft spools which again is useful.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2007 08:05 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason.Welcome to the Forum. You could try Classisc Home Cinema in Cleethorpes. He advertises arms on his listings. Telephone number is 01472 291934 and speak to Phil or Denise.Or try Paul Foster, he sometimes has them in stock.
Regards Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Jason Redmond
Junior

- posted February 18, 2007 08:56 AM      Profile for Jason Redmond   Email Jason Redmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 18, 2007 12:56 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason
Welcome to the forum. A good pair of rewinds are essential I have been using Shinko "Made in Japan" for over 20yrs will do both Super8 and 16mm "2200ft reels", and easly clamp onto a bench eg kitchen table, I use them for all my rewinding, making up films, cleaning etc.

Regards Graham.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2007 12:58 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can recommend the Elmo one's (from Paul Foster) they have been a godsend when cleaning films.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would certainly endorse the Elmo's. I like the idea that I can set them up quickly and easily wherever I need them. That said, I have been told you can collect 3 points on your licence if you use them whilst driving. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2007 04:29 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rewind arms on the bay but a bit pricey

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Of-Muray-Rewind-Arms-For-8mm-Super-8-And-16mm-Film_W0QQitemZ160087152561QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jason Redmond
Junior

- posted February 19, 2007 04:31 AM      Profile for Jason Redmond   Email Jason Redmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful advice, thank you everyone. I came across this forum by happy accident, having spent the last few years building a collection and buying the kit I needed to do it well. My love of all things cinema stems from my childhood, when I went to the barracks Saturday matinee (Dad was in the Army) every week and the sergeant who ran it used to let me into the projection cabin and help him change reels and such like. I remember the projector as being massive, probably a 35mm, but loved the whole experience. Nothing beats the lovely clicks and purrs of a projector in use! Thank you all for your guidance.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2007 05:25 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, those rewind arms are very good quality ones with them having a built in torque application for even film rewinding. Anyone buying them should have a pair that will last a lifetime.

I am not the seller, but the person selling them is a very nice chap indeed and 100% trustworthy.

Sorry, forgot to say welcome to the forum Jason.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2007 07:05 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was only my opinion Craig,i didn't mean to offend anyone. [Wink]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2007 10:47 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason

It was interesting to hear about your memories of the Saturday Matinee at the army barracks, I grew up in a village next to an RAF camp and my mates and I made good use of the facilities [Wink] .

There was a large hut that was used for all kinds of events, discos, the scouts, thrift shop and of course the Saturday cinema, it had a makeshift projection box with a 16mm projector in it. It was always locked when it wasn't a cinema day but I used to peer in through the perspex screen and marvel at the machinery. When I went to the films, much as now I found myself spending as much time watching the projecetor as I did the screen! [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2007 10:54 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, sorry if my reply was a little sharp. [Frown]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2007 11:37 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Problem Craig,just thought i may have offended with my comment,we all value things differently.

And i'm happy as i helped Jason get his rewind arms [Smile]

Jason Redmond
Junior

- posted February 19, 2007 03:25 PM      Profile for Jason Redmond   Email Jason Redmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Peter. You did indeed. I was going to use my editor, but when I saw Kevin was selling the thing I had thought I wanted, I decided to just take the plunge. Now I've got to explain to my wife where the big MDF board with two arms has come from!!!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2007 08:20 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, I recently renewed my license and had my Elmo rewinds fastened to the dashboard...got a wink and a nod [Wink]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC