8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » A HESITANT QUESTION

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A HESITANT QUESTION
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2007 09:41 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I am considering - only considering - on my next trip to visit my brother and his family in the US, taking a collection of family and commercial feature films to show, together with my Eumig.

However my beautiful Eumig is a 240 volt only model, which won't work Stateside. Therefore I am extremely hesitant to broach this subject, but I might be looking for a direct swap with a multi-voltage S810D or similar. The main requirement is that it needs to be capable of standard 8 sound as well as super 8 sound. Perhaps a 924 or similar would suffice, but not the co-axial models. Other than that, a dedicated standard 8 sound machine would be aceptable, as I still have the Elmo ST1200-HD of course.

If anyone in the UK has such a machine, which MUST be in pristine condition, and who doesn't need the 110/120 volt facility, it might be the answer.

Needless to say, I would be extremely reluctant to part with my machine, as it is pretty well mint, fastidiously and meticulously maintained; but it is to serve a purpose. If it weren't for this reason, I wouldn't entertain the idea of possibly parting with it.

Might I pre-empt any generous suggestions which mght be forthcoming, of a possible loan by any member either from here or America whilst I am across the pond, that with the greatest respect, I would prefer not to use someone elses machine - just in case! I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Any takers?

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 12, 2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, if I may...
Just a thought: It might save you some trouble if a US member of this forum could lend a machine to your brother, providing it is geographically feasable. You wouldn't have to carry one all the way from Europe.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2007 02:26 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc,

Yes, I had thought of that, but we tend to be a bit sceptical about borrowing other peoples prized possessions. The camaraderie which exists within the Forum members is a deeply respected tradition - but if anything were to happen to it - well! We could never forgive ourselves.

If nothing transpires, we will probably get hold of a 120/240 volt step-up transformer locally. I can happily use a 110/120volt maching here in the UK as our home is wired with both 120 and 240 voltages, so that is why I was looking for a swap.

However, many thanks for your input.

Kindest regards,

--------------------
Dave.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 16, 2007 11:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Don't forget that the US mains operate at 60 cycles per second against the UK's 50 cycles.

So any projector you take will need to have a speed change facility, or the ability to change over the drive belt to ensure it runs at the correct speed.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Maurice is correct: Even if a European projector has got a 110-130V-setting, it might still rely on AC with 50Hz. This is due to some parts of Italy and some Greek islands having/used to have a default voltage of only 110 to 130V, but nevertheless at 50Hz. Hence you would have to consult the manual whether the 110-130V-setting really works in the USA.

Jörg

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2007 06:49 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Maurice and Joerg,

Thanks for your note about the frequency, but yes, as a professional electrical engineer, I was fully aware of that fact.

Still, it never hurts to point these things out now and again. You never know if it might help someone else.

Kindest regards,

--------------------
Dave.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2007 08:29 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Amongst the cine collection I acquired a couple of weeks ago came a Eumig Mark s 709 dual sound projector. Cosmetically it is in good condition and I have tested it with super 8 and standard 8 sound film. The only fault that I noticed was that when I fired it up after being in the garage on a cold night it ran a little slow for a couple of seconds then ran fine. The valve amp was booming.

This is a full multi voltage machine with the internal HTZ switch inside for oversea use.

The projector could do with a thorough going over and probably an internal clean. You are more than welcome to borrow this projector for your travels. Having bought your old Elmo st-600 from you I know what standard you keep your projectors in. This could be a win win situation, you get a projector to use, I get to save a few hours going over it. [Big Grin]

If you want this machine David drop me an email to craig.hamilton1(at)btconnect(dot)com

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2007 11:13 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,

"You've got mail"!!!!!

--------------------
Dave.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2007 09:47 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

You have a reply.

Craig

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2007 09:48 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,

Haven't received your reply! [Frown] [Confused]

--------------------
Dave.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2007 10:48 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

I have re-sent the message [Wink]

Craig

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC