8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Looking for a Super 8mm optical sound projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for a Super 8mm optical sound projector
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 04, 2008 10:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently had incredibly poor luck with my optical sound projectors, and have found myself with over 40 features, and no operating optical sound projectors!

Help?

(Note: I have to add, that i have to rely on USA fellows in this case, as the shipping from the UK would kill me!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 05, 2008 04:30 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could help ya out, but the only optical-capable projector I ever had I just sold to Kevin F. [Eek!]
Might I ask what the issue with your projector(s) is? Maybe a simple repair is possible? I still have those 3 Elmo skeletons sitting around, and curiously they're all optical-sound machines... though they're literally just skeletons now, MANY parts missing... but if it's a matter of you needing a replacement part, I may or may not have it...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2008 06:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

Sadly, none of my optical sound projectors are Elmo's.

I do have one I wish I could fix.

It's Yashica sound P810. It treats films extremely kind AND its in fairly good shape, but I can't get it to run, that, and
the optical bulb is out, and the damndest thing is that I can't get the front cover piece off. I've never been able to locate how the cover comes off!! So incredibly frustrating, and it's such a sweet machine, (and such good optical sound too!)

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 06, 2008 06:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
And what a superb machine it is too. Thanks Jan, I love it. It's now second to my GS1200 Xenon. For others reading this thread it's the rarer ST600D M-O in silver with monitor outputs for both tracks like the ST1200HD so possible to playback in stereo via an external amp.
I have now installed a 2 blade shutter and that 100W lamp now punches a really nice bright picture on my screen. Great little machine for checking 400/600ft reels prior to spooling up onto 1200ft spools for use on the GS.

Thanks again Jan, Kev.

[ May 07, 2008, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 07, 2008 08:39 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YW, Kevin [Smile]

Osi, I've seen that Yashica on the Web before... sweet little machine indeed. You say you can't get it to run, does that mean the motor runs but there's no film transport? And as for the front cover, could it be screwed on? See if you can find any hidden screws...surely there must be a way. [Confused]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 09:02 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only other option I may have is taking off the back of the Yashica again, and checking to see if the front panel was actually screwed on from the back. (?!)

The sad thing is, if I was to send this off to a repairman, it would probably cost as much to replace as it would to buy a good used optical sound projector off the internet.

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 12:33 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I think you'll have to get that rarely used Credit Card out, bite the bullett and buy a good Elmo projector or the like, it'll make sense in the long run, especially as you have an extensive Optical collection.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

The credit card is used more than you think, (hint: everything I have bought from you is on credit card) ...

But I have a personal set of rules that I don't charge what I don't have definitely coming in the foreseeable future. I have remained debt free for 42 years, (even owning our own house completely these days, and not a penny on credit!) and don't plan on starting that now, (until I'm a year or so from death, and then pounding the hell out of the credit card ... how can they get debt out of a corpse, HAHAHAHA!)

... but I am eyeing my "stimulus package check" and in the meantime, constantly watching lists and such to get a good deal on a long lasting reliable projector!

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 09, 2008 03:19 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there's a nice Chinon 9500 (or was it 9000) model on eBay right now... which is magnetic/optical.

Or you could ship your Yashica to me, have me tinker with it and then have it shipped back to you... if you pay shipping both ways, that is, otherwise I'll be happy to work for free (I do love to tinker) [Smile]

(If you go that route, make sure to include an optical-sound test film since I have none) [Wink]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 15, 2008 05:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it bizarre that Yashica would screw the front on the machine and stop you getting to the Exciter lamp. Its an item that could die at anytime during a show. The last thing that anyone would want is to have a tool kit with their machine to strip the machine during a show just because the lamp has failed. [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 15, 2008 09:13 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is frustrating Kevin. I've never been able to figure out how to get that blasted bottom half of the cover off. I really think I'll go behind and see about screws from behind.

(that sounded dirty, no pun intended)

Jan, could you give a link to that auction on the Chinon 9500?
I couldn't seem to find it!

Also, thanks Jasn for the offer! Roy Neil has also offered to help me with it as well, and also for free! Jan, I thought you were leaving the country though?

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 15, 2008 09:43 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The eBay listing is right... um... oh, well, there's the link right there. [Big Grin]

And, you're welcome! No, I'm still stuck in the good ol' US of A until late July, at the very least. Looks like I'll be leaving in early or mid-August.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC