8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Free to a good home: Eumig & Synchrodek

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free to a good home: Eumig & Synchrodek
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2009 10:04 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I've got to get rid of some stuff to make space for our new baby coming in October, therefore I've got a Mark S802 Eumig in a tatty box which has been modified for use with a Craven Synchrodek (also boxed). I'd hate to dump it so I'll give it away to the first person who can collect from east London or is willing to pay for carriage. Let me know if you're interested.

|  IP: Logged

Phillip Black
Junior

- posted May 22, 2009 02:59 PM      Profile for Phillip Black   Email Phillip Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could collect if it's still available [Smile]

--------------------
Phillip Black

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 24, 2009 09:15 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Staurt, I`m looking for a nice 16mm machine if you are selling any and congratulations too.
Best Mark.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2009 04:49 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phillip, it's still available, when do you think you could collect? Drop me an email: swreid AT lineone DOT net (replace the AT with @ and DOT with .)

Phillip Black
Junior

- posted June 01, 2009 04:27 PM      Profile for Phillip Black   Email Phillip Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Received with thanks!
If I can work out how to use it this will be bringing the 1970's home cinema back shortly. I will keep you informed.
Cheers once again.

--------------------
Phillip Black

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to help with info. Is it a mechanical Syncrodek (connected to projector with flexible shaft) or Electronic?
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2009 03:47 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a detailed article from 1964 on "Using the Synchrodek" which was a means of syncronizing the speeds of projector and ordinary 1/4 inch magnetic tape. Connection between the Syncrodek and projector is by a flexible drive and an electrical connection to the motor circuit of the projector. Variants were available also for use with sprocketed tape, with which the manufacturers (Craven) claimed that 100% lip sychronisation was possible. Hand control of the projector speed is a requirement. I can scan the article if needed.
Somewhere (I haven't located it yet!) I also have the manufacturer's operating instructions for the Electronic version.This version is electrically linked to the projector and controls the projector speed electronically with the aid of sprocketed 1/4 tape. The sprocket holes are sensed by a light beam, so there is no strain on the tape, unlike the mechanical versions which use an actual sprocket for driving the mechanics. The control is smoother than the mechanical machine as the correction is infinitely variable, rather than a slightly crude "on/off" type control.
I have one which is coupled to my Eumig 824D, not for syncronising to tape, but to provide a convenient smooth manual control for the projector speed. Again, there were variants for different projector/ tape speed combinations and the corresponding sprocketed tapes were available. I have two reels of unused sprocketed tape designed for use at a tape speed of 3 and 3/4 ips and 18 fps; this has 18 sprocket/ light sensor holes in every 3 and 3/4 inches of tape. Once I find them, these instructions will be available for scan to interested parties also.
UPDATE: Located....The leaflet is specifically for modifying the Eumig 700/800 range and using the Electronic Syncrodek with them, but the Operating Instructions are applicable specifically to this range and generally to all correct combinations.
I'm guessing that this is the version you have with an S802, Phillip
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2009 08:21 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad it arrived safely - i'd love to see it in action when you get it running.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC