8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » I am selling my GS1200, Needs Servicing.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am selling my GS1200, Needs Servicing.
Frank Cantone
Junior

- posted February 20, 2012 11:51 AM      Profile for Frank Cantone   Email Frank Cantone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I have an Elmo GS-1200 stereo projector I wish to sell. I have been considering offering on ebay, but I wanted to post a message about it in this forum before doing so.
I know this is considered the top of the line model, but it has given me a number of headaches recently. It is currently not in working order so it is being offered "As Is, For Parts or Repair." I have not yet figured a price for it, so I thought I would post a message here for suggestions.
The sound does not always play from the speakers. I found that jiggling the PA Switch usually solves this problem.
It will run a movie well for a few minutes, then suddenly make "chopping" noises and either continue normally or shut down, in which case it can be difficult to start up again.
Twice the motor stalled while running a film, yet the lamp stayed lit, resulting in burned frames both times.
Most recently, on Jan 1, the motor which seems to run the feed sprocket stopped working. I smelled a burning odor after this happened and so I am figuring the motor for that sprocket has burned out. When I press the Forward and Reverse buttons nothing happens. So currently it will not run films at all.
I paid $900 for it in 1987 from a Canadian dealer who had refurbished it. I did not use it often from about 1990 until last year, when I tried to run films I listed on ebay to check their condition. I was told by another forum member that I can get a good price for it even in its current condition. I do have one person interested in it but he probably cannot pay much as much as it is probably worth. If anyone can give me an idea of what it may be worth I will greatly appreciate your comments, or if anyone is interested in purchasing it please also feel free to contact me.
The projector will come with cover, power cord, microphone in pouch, 800' take-up reel, and extra lamp.
Thank you.

-

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 20, 2012 03:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank, in it's present state I can't see you getting a great deal
for it,therefore I would give some thought to getting the
machine sorted out,as someone already pointed out on this Forum
these problems that the GS has are invariably with relays etc
so I would consider a recondition and resale if you aren't going
to use it yourself then at keast you can get some money for it
as collectors like this projector and it will sell,personally even
though I have one(I was given one by a late collectors son) this
is the second one I have had and I think they have a reputation
as a great projector that they haven't earned.They are far too
complex,too many switches,too many motors and it has been
designed as a portable recording studio which the majority of
film collectors do not require.If only they had spent that money on film path design that didn't scratch film,a problem all Elmo's
have.I digress, If you use it as spares you will lose money and
why should you after all the problems could be sorted out by a
competant repairer and needn't cost the earth.I hope I've been
of some help.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 20, 2012 06:33 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an Elmo GS1200 a few years back that was dropped on its side and it actually cracked the metal housing! It would not play (obviously) but it still had many good parts inside. I put it on ebay with no reserve and it sold for around $500?
Good Luck with it. You may want to send it to Leon to see if he can fix it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC