8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Needed a dne bulb

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Needed a dne bulb
Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2012 06:03 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The moment I went to turn on my projector so I could start my feature the bulb blew. Does anyone here have one?
Thanks
Austin(:

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 08:18 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many sources for the DNE bulb - which is the exact same bulb my Chinons use. If you type DNE projector lamp into Google, you'll see many e-tailers that carry it. Recently, I've purchsed mine from www.bulbdirect.com and the service was excellent.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 09:56 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the link:

http://www.bulbdirect.com/search/text_search.php?search=DNE&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

Brad, or somebody can explain why there are so high gap for the same type of lamp ($17.28 vs $36.28)?

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 02:09 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin,

I got my DNE blubs on eBay.

The cheapest I've seen is this one for $10.99. That includes shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DNE-Projector-Bulb-Lamp-150-Watt-120-Volt-FREE-SHIPPING-/290724724091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b08b3d7b

As for the different price points on bulbdirect.com, I have no idea. Makes no sense at all.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 02:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, that is rated for 12 hrs life.

Did you find that the bulb's life was that short.

That is equal to play Ben Hur, Titanic and 10 Commandments and ....death! [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 03:13 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.divinelighting.com/

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 04:20 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I have not counted the hours of use on my current DNE bulb. I haven't used my Chinon 6100 for a while, though. I just bought a (hopefully better working) 6100 on eBay. When I get it, I'll try to see how long a bulb lasts.

I can say that when my original 6100 was running, I thought the bulb lasted a long time. Of course, I wasn't watching as many films then as I do now. So, who knows?

As for the 12 hour lifespan, it looks like most of the DNE bulbs I saw on eBay and the sites listed here have that printed on the box. Is there one that lasts longer? If so, I can understand why one DNE bulb would be more expensive than the other.

If I remember correctly, the bulbs I got were about $15 each. That was a few years ago.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 08:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can somebody explain why some projectors (Chinon, GAF) using this type of bulb instead of EFP which has longer lifespan? My understanding that these two projectors were the later projector instead of those from 1960s. So must be at that time EFP bulb has been available.

Or is DNE give much brighter light ciompared to EFP which is halogen?

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 10:28 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Both bulbs are halogen. The EFP bulb is 100 watts and the DNE is 150 watts so the DNE is brighter but because of the higher wattage will not last as long as the EFP.

As for why different projectors use different bulbs, I suppose the original designers decided how bright they wanted them to be. Maybe people were buying bigger screens for larger spaces and throw distances increased. Or, perhaps they made all these different bulbs just to piss us off.

It's kind of like the different film gauges. 35, 16, 9.5, standard 8 and super 8 . Why isn't there one universal gauge? We always make things so complicated.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 11:06 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We always make things so complicated.

Yeah...just like VHS vs Beta.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2012 12:30 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Young Austin,
I always order two bulbs so I have a spare back-up on hand for such emergencies.

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2012 12:42 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just may do that . [Big Grin]

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2012 05:12 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin, I have a DNE for you for $15.00 post paid.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC