8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Kodak 4-X 7277 reversal film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak 4-X 7277 reversal film
Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2012 10:22 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I was wondering if this film is still any good, it has been stored in a fridge since new. My dilemma here is I need a high speed film for halloween, that would give me half decent exposure for night scenes. It is 400ASA, stored in a fridge since new, although i can find very few resources for this film. It is still in its foil packaging. If it will still be good for low light scenes with a 180 degree shutter, or will it be useless? I know old film looses speed, this seems from what i can gather discontinued in the early 1990s so a possible loss of speed up to a stop or so. :/ My only other option is to shoot negative and have the lab make me a super 8 print, which they said they will do. I home process all colour reversal, but for Black and white i plan on sending it off.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this film.

Jacob

EDIT: I seem to have mistakenly posted this in the wrong section. Could an admin or mod please move this? Sorry!

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2012 09:18 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that it's been cold stored for 20 years surely helps your cause. Do you only have 1 roll? Too bad you can't shoot a test, then another roll for the main event. Wow, I didn't even know there ever was a 4X. Didn't shoot back then.

I'm not sure the +1 stop is a great idea. There's a good chance fogging will be an issue with a higher speed film of that vintage, and if you blow out the exposure, it might be a pretty light piece of film!

Have you tried talking to anyone at the lab where you want to process it for their opinion? Is it the same process as Tri-X, and hopefully so, and not a discontinued chemistry?

Finally, have you posted this question in the Small Guage Forum at http://forum.filmshooting.com? It's more likely you'll find expertise there than here on such an unusual scenario. But please report back and let us know how it goes!

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2012 07:46 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided to expose it at box speed and get it developed via std black and white reversal process from guagefilm on ebay, i buy most new stock of 100D from him. As for halloween, I wanted a film that preformed well in low light, seeing as I am strapped for cash. I did a 100D test at a +2 push with unacceptable poor results, didnt expect too much. I sold one of my 100D carts and got a Vision3 500T cartridge, and am having Andec develop it and make a projection print for my needs, as at home I only do reversal, and making a positive projection print from a neg is impossible at home!, I am not fussed about digitising, I am a purely analog guy and don't want a digital result! I am going to shoot one of the 4-X films (I have two) and see how well it preforms at box speed and normal development. I really do want a super-8 halloween movie, so my 500T is going to be used, and my 4-X is going to be used later on throughout the party. Shooting neg seemed the only option for low light situations, due to cost of getting prints made it would not be a common choice, hence reversal I will always use when possible as I can develop at home, the upside of neg i suppose is in the event of damage a new print can be made, copying reversal andec say a 16mm internegative has to be made, although I requested an 8mm one made for my 18th, but it wasn't going to be easy for them. I will get the colour neg and the 4-X B/W developed later next month when i am moved and financially back on track, will keep you guys posted!

Jacob

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2012 03:20 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like your style! Purely analog!

Best wishes on your photography and hope it turns out to be a great deal of fun. And looks good!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 31, 2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how different the results would be between using 4-X and using Tri-X pushed a stop...

The effective ASA is the same, and from what I've heard either would be pretty grainy!

I used a cartrige of Tri-X at CineSea a few weeks ago when I was indoors at the meet. I liked being able to shoot indoors in ambient light like this, it's not something I've often done.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2012 07:30 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys :-) Well we had the party, am hungover :-( the 500T was fully exposed, (I set all settings, I can barely remember what is on it, we will see once it has been developed and printed :-) the 4-X I never got the chance to use, I plan to use it soon though :-) I will post back with the results :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC