8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 07:03 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone just so happens to have any 600ft cardboard feature boxes or even just single thick quality plain white card 600ft Super 8mm boxes. Please let me know.

I am seeking as many as I can find thanks for my own collection.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 08:16 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Andrew

Check this site:

http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com/Products.html

PatD

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 09:02 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great supplier by the looks of things, but it doesn't appear to sell 600ft boxes of any kind let alone top opening ones like I'm seeking nor feature boxes unfortunately.

Thanks again though Pat. [Smile]

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2016 09:13 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Classic Home Cinema were selling 600ft boxes Andrew, I bought a few at the Blackpool do from them, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 12:27 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There you go Andrew! You heard it first here on "The Forum". Stay tuned for future messages on film collecting. [Cool]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 01:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark, I do have some of these but I was looking for plain card boxes by preference and slightly thicker guage card if I'm honest.

They are out there and occasionally feature on e bay, just not for the time being.

As for feature boxes, I guess I will have to get a batch of these made nowadays as I haven't found anyone selling these so far.

--------------------

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2016 08:29 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pitty we couldn't all put some money together and get some one to do feature boxes for us Andy ,there's bound to be some company out there to do it for us

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 23, 2016 08:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the only way to go now Kevin and this is what I shall do now for the feature boxes.

Its bloody hard work though getting anyone else interested in committing to sharing the cost of manufacturing these though, that I will say!

I guess I will end up with minimum batch order requirements all to myself then. [Confused]

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2016 12:12 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew, get the search going your end, if you got some details on the box's (gsm) size's let me have em, and i'll do some mooching too on the net, we'll get sorted Andrew. I have a few battered box's that could do with changing out, and I carn't believe in the 21st we cannot find a company out there who could do this at a reasonable cost.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 23, 2016 01:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I will do a bit of research with this Paul when I make it priority. I will get back to you buddy thanks [Wink]

--------------------

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2016 03:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andy I have 5 600ft boxes if you want these ?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 23, 2016 04:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That is very kind of you Kevin, but these are scarce at the moment Kevin and you, like me, will always be getting more films in the future.

I think for now Kevin, it's best you hang onto these, if for whatever reason I cannot source any or get some made, I may well be grateful if you could spare one or two, but for now mate, I'm not desperate. I am just thinking of safe guarding the future with these two products.

Most of the features we buy, are typically on 600ft spools, so I'm sure if I got some made, I could offload one or two over the years to offset any excess initial outlay.

Thanks again though Kevin, most appreciated!

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2016 05:07 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I have found a company who do a laminated cardboard box, with a lid, like the red fox style box. Unfortunately the pictures on the site cannot be magnified ??, but they look pretty sturdy. Will give them a ring in the morning to find out some more info, it's a start.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 24, 2016 04:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For what I'm after Paul, I want to replicate the original Derann feature boxes. I don't mind using a very slight thicker card, but certainly not corrugated board for what I'm seeking. I don't want boxes with a lift off lid or a full length flap because I use the original artwork with the detailed deep spine they used create so it represents a book in appearance when on a shelf.

Laminated wouldn't really help if they are to be covered with glossy artwork and may make the artwork difficult to adhere to the boxes.

It's great that you're already finding possible suppliers though Paul and I really do appreciate your efforts thanks.
I've not even began yet but I have a flatpacked prototype of each to submit and then they can copy when I see a company that appears correct for this small project.

Ironically, it is exactly the kind of work my late father would have been able to have helped me with up until the mid 90's. He used to work as a printer and they made food grade cartons for M&S and the likes back then.

The original ones, when supplied correctly, housed 3x600ft individual card boxes for each reel of Film, all labelled up on the top flaps 1-3 for the different parts to the feature.

This is what I'm trying to create.

When the individual boxes are placed into the outer feature boxes, they are very sturdy indeed and look very professional when kept like new on a shelf.

[ February 24, 2016, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2016 02:25 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have you got a picture of this original box Andrew ?, I have some features of derann , and that does not sound like the box they are in. They do have the art work you describe wrapped around the box, now I'm intrigued as to wether I have replacement box's from your originals.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 24, 2016 02:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I will post a photo of one of my originals still in cellophane with the price tag on it after the footie mate thanks. [Wink]

It has 3 individual inner boxes as they all should when first distributed.

--------------------

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2016 02:56 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
You might find them from tiny box company in England. Search by size or request a special order. I bought a batch of 230x230x40mm plain white boxes that I like to store features on 1200' reels.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 24, 2016 04:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for that info Daniel, I shall take a look at their products thanks! [Wink]

This is exactly what I'm seeking to replicate for other films Paul & Daniel thanks:

-

-

-

This is precisely how they were distributed & delivered when new by Derann.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 24, 2016 11:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to see the boxes inside - I think that's something that they did at first but then dropped later. Tney used the same box for 4 x '600 features too, which obviously made placing four boxes inside impossible, and I'm sure that I at least once bought a new sealed 3 x '600 features and found a couple of squares of corrugated card inside that were used to pad out the space!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 25, 2016 03:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're absolutely correct Adrian. It is something they dropped over the years but is actually a massive improvement when individual boxes are included as it makes the feature box far more sturdy and durable.
Keeps the top flap better secured when closed and the outer box generally keeps in shape better.

My other films have had just four plain reels of Film placed in these with no inner boxes, but they are nowhere near as strong.

Ultimately, I'd like different depths making in these feature boxes to allow up to 5x600 films to fit, but with the 3x600, you can cover most permutations by either doubling up and fitting a dummy inner box or in the case of a 4x600ft feature,
Simply place reel one in a single box at the front and duplicate the artwork onto the single.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2016 11:13 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked the website tiny box company, quite good but nothing of that size or design, mainly gift box's, and owned by or financed by Peter Jones of the dragon den fame, as he's the one dragon I dislike the most, he's not getting a penny off me to fly his private jet around, no chance.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 25, 2016 12:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed there was nothing like these Paul also.
Somewhere here in the UK, there will be a rusty old die set for these. I wonder where though?

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC