8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » WTB: Bolex 18/5 standard 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTB: Bolex 18/5 standard 8
John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2016 01:46 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fancy getting a few Standard 8 silent films and I understand that the manual threading Bolex 18/5 is a fine machine to go for. I'm looking for one in good condition, UK preferred. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 05, 2016 09:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, the Bolex 18-5 is a superb quality machine, a real jewel of a projector, with great performance. I would encourage you to seek out the manual threading version, which will never ever damage your films, and the manual threading is about a 5 second operation. When you get one, you may find you have to replace the three drive belts, as these usually disintegrate over the 50 year span of this projector. This is no big deal, as butyl rubber O-rings, of the correct size and hardness, can be installed very easily and will last forever.
Anyone who has an 18-5 ends up loving it. For me, the 18-5 is the only 8mm projector that I will entrust to run my precious 50 year old Kodachrome family movies.
Barry Fritz, on this forum, has just about every 18-5 model that Bolex made, and he is the most knowledgeable person on the 18-5 here. So contact Barry if you have any questions on the specs of any particular model that you are thinking of buying.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Don Sykes
Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2016 05:51 AM      Profile for Don Sykes   Email Don Sykes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John, I have a Bolex 18-5 Automatic with tape syncronizer,Bolex Hi-Fi lens, instruction book, Bolex carrying case with small built in screen, mains lead. All in near mint condition. If of interest email at dsykes5169@aol.com. Don

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2016 12:20 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I've just taken delivery of a Bolex 18-5, bought from a forum member on here (thanks Mark!). It's the auto version, and I think I'll keep my eyes out for a manual version as per Paul's recommendation. The manual versions certainly seem rarer.

Frustratingly I don't have any standard 8 films yet - I'm going to Ealing though so I should be able to get some there. The Bolex powers up nicely and sounds like a well-oiled sewing machine when running so I don't expect any insurmountable problems with it. However, it doesn't have the manual - does anyone have a scan of one they could send me for completeness? Is there anything I need to know before I thread my first film?

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2016 07:30 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John:
I have a manual I can scan to a PDF file if that will work for you. Give me a day or so to do it. Don't loose any sleep over having the auto version. While I agree with Paul the manual load version would be preferrable, the auto Bolex does not have the problems most auto threaders have. With the Bolex auto the film path is easily accessable and can be easily unloaded mid-reel if necessary. Also, the film gate still swimgs out for easy cleaning.

Edit: I've scanned the Manual to a PDF file. If you PM me your email, I'll send it to you.

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2016 03:46 AM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Barry! PM sent.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC