8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » MAN CALLED HORSE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MAN CALLED HORSE
Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2011 12:30 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! friends,this,s a good film in optical sound,"man called horse"this,s the plot:in 1825 an english aristocrat is captured
by indians.he lives with them and begins to understand their lifestyles.enventually he is accepted as part of the tribe nd becomes their leader.
this print comes in 4x600ft,with goog sharper image,colour o.k
and the sound for optical it,s good also not comparable with
magnetic ones
richard harris has a good performance here,the film was rate
in portugal for audiences over 21 years old,because of some
violente scenes,.this was in the seventees.

[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 04, 2011 01:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2011 05:34 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI! OSI IT,S SOUNDS POETIC,THAT,S WHY WE MUST KEEP WHAT WE HAVE
UNTIL NOW...

REGARDS

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2011 10:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ... no offense. I had thought I was on the "for sales" page and not the reviews and I noticed it a little late, but I couldn't seem to delete the whole post.

I love this film, as I'm a major Harris fan. The realism to this film was quite excellent, even by todays standard, (take the "warrior" ritual and the pierced nipples sequence, boy, that would appeal to some young people in the crowd today, but I just find it painful ... ouch!)

By the way, is that sequence edited any in your print?

ThanX 4 the review!

--------------------

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2011 03:11 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! osi my pall,no problem,my print shows everythng,i have also
the same film on dvd,but i prefer my sper 8 print,i got also in
opticalsound,greystoke,a nice print too...

regards

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 07, 2011 10:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Greystroke as well, and as you said, it is a wonderful print. Exceedingly sharp, very light grain and better than average optical soundtrack.

That was always one of the failings of the optical super 8 features. They could sometimes have poor soundtracks and unlike magnetic sound, the optical soundtracks, upon fading, would deliver even less sound ...

... but then you think, they were used on airlines, and all ou listened to them with were those terrible "tinny" sounding headsets, so the people that produced these prints didn't work too hard to create great sound ...

Until the 80's. The soundtracks on the post 80's optical features belt out nearly indentical mono sound to the magnetic prints. A lot, however, depended on the projector you have and it's playback. Not all optical super 8 projectors re-create the optical track well.

Which optical projector do you have? My current (working) projector is a Chinon 9500 which has good, loud optical playback with extremely light projector background noise.

--------------------

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 04:35 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! osi,that,s right what you sayng,actualy for optical sound
i use my elmo st-1200,who has great sound and good balance,it,s
curiose,but ther,s some optical sound beter than mag.ones.all
depends the operator hand in the lab...

bests

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 10:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does have a lot to do with the lab.

Ona much earlier post on this forum, it was mentioned that in the US they put some form of coating on the optical tracks which allowed for better fidelity to the soundtracks, which the UK prints didn't have and I have noticed that, as a general rule, the UK printing of optical titles are not as loud ... in general.

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 11, 2011 05:49 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it was the first film to seriously look into an Indian culture.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC