8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Musical shorts scope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Musical shorts scope
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 01, 2012 02:44 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unable to afford the full features of the classic musicals for my wife i had an idea,I purchased three seperate shorts from them all in scope and stereo,
June is bustin' out all over, from Carousel,this item is a very full 200ft spool,
South Pacific promo (includes There aint nothing like a Dame & Honey Bun, again, a nice full 200ft spool,
The big Parade From Hello Dolly, around 180ft in length.
A review of content is a little obvious but where Derann have made these stand out from the crowd is each one has extended front credits and also a decent end credit,
The content is basicly the complete numbers to the main songs listed and the quality of each one is absolutly stunning, fantastic colours on all three and the sound to match.
In order to make a decent show for my wife i have now joined all three onto a 600ft spool with the extra long Oliver trailer at the start, the result?? A superb reel of packed scope screen musical extravaganza, non stop musical numbers from some of the best classic musicals of all time.
If you love the musicals as my Wife does but like me find the full features a liitle expensive then these three reels are very highly recommended.
As always i have made a decent box to house this excellent reel as shown,
 -

[ August 01, 2012, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2012 01:54 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Tom, I can sympathize. Sounds like the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, so your audience should find it a great program. Not to mention you and the missus!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 04, 2012 10:05 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill, out of interest, i do wish i bought a lot more from Deranns last list when they put it out, i took a quick look at it and they had a couple of the musical features on there for very good prices.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 04, 2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a few "Cliff Richards" usical numbers that were released on super 8 and in scope. I think the title of one was "We've got a Show" and the scope was quite good, but they were printed on eastman stock and so are bound to fade sooner or later.

Would you happen to have those? By the way, thanks for the review.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 04, 2012 10:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard these Derann 200 foot musical shorts are a legacy of Derek Simmonds himself. He loved the big screen 'scope musicals and these shorts were ones he chose.

I have a couple of them: "South Pacific Promo", "Summer Nights" from "Grease", and "Maria" and "America" from West Side Story. I also have the 400' West Side Story reel with "Officer Krupke", "I Feel Pretty" and "Quintet". They are great reels: booming sound and great 'scope images.

We had company a couple of years back. They brought their uncle's home movies to watch. I followed up with "Maria" and "America". The difference between silent and flat and 'scope with sound was kind of startling. Especially since both were Super-8.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 05, 2012 03:37 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, i do have the summer holiday scope reel which is on a 400ft and it has still got very good colour, unfortunatly i have bought the "we got a show" reel on two occassions but have sent them both back due to fade which is a pity as it is a very lively reel.
Steve,I am trying very hard to find both the westside extracts that you have, once ive got those (& i never see them on the lists), i'll be very happy with my collection of short musicals for the Mrs. [Wink] I will keep hunting.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 05, 2012 09:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought "Maria" and "America" new about 8 years ago and my son bought me the West Side Story 400 footer for Christmas after he first saw the 200 footer and really liked it!

My wife's favorite movie is The Sound of Music. I got her the Derann 'scope "Do-Re-Mi" extract and make it a point to project it for her when we have a family movie night. Focus is a little soft in a few spots, but it is a great reel.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 06, 2012 06:26 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are fortunate to own the full feature of Sound of Music, the print is very good to and when we purchased it the film was already mounted on 3 x 1200ft spools so that was lucky.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC