8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Mickey's Christmas Carol (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mickey's Christmas Carol
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 20, 2019 12:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul ...

I looked at that link to the bluray release of this short! Good Gosh!! That "clean-up" of the film was totally BOTCHED!!

Stick with film, you clean it, it looks better!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 22, 2019 12:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I may well have mentioned this before ... but why not again? (who knows how long it was since the last time).

Another one of the big problems with Disney (most notorious for this), getting rid of the "film element" out of the equation for they're blu-rays (and actually earlier, as i first noticed this problem on some of they're later DVD releases) ...

As is foten the case, when a character pauses on screen and doesn't move, the artists will use upwards of 24 or perhaps 48 frames for the "pose" to register. Now, on actual film, with the film grain, this pause does not register as a "freeze frame" in the film, as you have grain ...

... but without the grain, this freeze frame is obvious and something that a person notices.

The best example of this in a Disney film (that I have personally noticed), is when Snow White first approaches the Dwarves house. She and the animals peer through some brush, with the very next shot being the dwarves house. On the DVD and bluray, when the individual animation cels stop with a "pause" on the "pose", we obviously see a freeze frame and it's almost like the DVD or bluray is pausing there, when it isn't ...

Hence, the need for actual film elements like film grain! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2019 12:23 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right! Stick with film! Its the best! Leon.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 22, 2019 12:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well as owning the Super 8 print I was lucky enough to have and run the 35mm print just last Christmas.
 -
 -

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2019 12:45 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sure looks good!nice and sharp!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 22, 2019 01:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35mm Leon [Wink]
 -

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2019 04:51 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! 35MM sure looks awesome! Boy there's nothing like film! Enjoy!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC