8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Scope 55 / Carousel Trailer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scope 55 / Carousel Trailer
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2019 04:27 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, I am surprised this little gem has not been reviewed before now.

Scope 55 was a new process by which films could be made and in this 1956 short, Darrel F.Zanuck explains how the process works. It is then followed by a special trailer to the film Carousel, starring Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones, which was one of the first to be made in this format.

Mr.Zanuck's demonstration is filmed in the normal academy ratio, although a cinemascope lens is still needed for this bit otherwise this comes out squashed.
So here we are watching and listening to him in what appears to be the old format, when suddenly the Carousel trailer bursts onto the screen in all its cinemascope glory. The effect is cinematically stunning! It features various short clips from the film, but I feel that it is a version that was specially edited for this short as there are a couple of voice overs during it relating to the technical side that would sound out of place as a stand alone trailer.

The film is approx 100' long and runs around 5 minutes. I would rate the colour as A- (The Zanuck bit B+,the longer Carousel bit A) and the sound as A- and was released by good ole Uncle Derek and the gang in Dudley!

A corker of a short and an absolute "must" for any cinemascope collection.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 11, 2019 02:00 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the review Melvin. We also have this one and the quality is very good and colours are excellent. A perfect start to any scope show.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2019 06:24 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not just "one of the first CinemaScope 55 films", but THE first and from what I've read only 2 were made and billed as such others were reduction printed (as the 55mm negs were 8 perf) Fox Grandeur 70.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2019 11:00 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian - I was just covering myself with that remark. I suspected it was the first, but when one makes such a statement in an environment like this where a lot of people know their stuff, one has to be careful with careless inaccuracies as many would be keen to draw attention to the error.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 11, 2019 11:32 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, I also have this excellent short promo. I like the way Zanuck holds up the 35mm and 55mm film pointing out the 4X area increase of the 55mm. The commentary is also very good, particularly at the end where we hear such phrases as "Kaleidascope of color" and "more than your eyes have ever seen". You gotta love the Hollywood sales pitch! [Smile]
There's one on sale on ebay right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-color-sound-1x200-CINEMASCOP E-promo-trailers-SCOPE-55-CAROUSEL-/133086665436

-

I also have Zanuck's original promotion short of the first use of CinemaScope in The Robe which is also excellent.

[ August 11, 2019, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2019 01:57 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The effect of this trailer is as amazing as the opening of the THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES.
Great review, great reactions!
Thank You very much, Melvin

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2019 12:26 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have this nice double bill! The print is sharp and nice color! You rarely see it for sale!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 12, 2019 03:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Leon, it is a nice sharp print with great color. Makes a great intro to the Carousel feature, or any Rodgers & Hammerstein scope film for that matter.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2019 03:08 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul it makes a good show!I'm glad to have two copies!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC