8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » How Do You Clean Your Film Path?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Do You Clean Your Film Path?
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 24, 2005 02:11 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking outside the donut, I thought it would interesting to find out what materials and methods people use to clean their projector's film paths. How do you clean thoses hard to get to places on a B&H 1500 series for instance. [Eek!] An Eiki SLL-O is more acessible I think. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 24, 2005 02:50 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno about a B&H 1500... incidentally I just picked up an Eiki SSL-0 on eBay which will be here tomorrow [Smile] but back on topic... for my Elmo ST-1200HD I arm myself with Goo-Gone and a few Q-tips, and get down and dirty... well, down and clean I should say [Razz]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2005 12:46 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for my ST1200HD i use film cleaner or rubbing alcohol with a qtip swab and run it along the path of the film and across the sound head and especially by the gate area that swings open, the same on my Eiki- SSL 16mm one the gate pops out for easy cleaning on that one. [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 26, 2005 06:29 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rubbing alcohol? Not by any chance the stuff that's 30% alcohol and 70% pure water?? [Eek!] I did that once, (forgetting about the alcohol/water mix), then ran a film through and watched in horror at large brown splotches all over the projected image. I hurried to rewind the film and properly cleaned it to prevent any lasting water damage... after that I re-cleaned the entire film path with Goo-Gone (which seems safe to use as a film cleaner also).
I'm assuming you let the cleaned sections dry before using your projector?

P.S. since you're bringing up the Eiki SSL-0, I wonder if you know where I can get a copy of the user's manual for mine (it arrived yesterday). There doesn't seem to be a downloadable copy either on film-tech.com or the filmshooting forums. [Frown]

--------------------

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan Try [URL=http://www.texsales.com/products.php?cat=8] he has a bunch of manuals listed.Bob

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 26, 2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use alcohol on rubber parts. It can cause the rubber to expand. I use smelly old rubber cleaner. I clean magnetic heads with head cleaner and Film Renew for the film path and film. [Wink]

You might be able to find an owner's manual for the Eiki at Urbanskifilms .com

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2005 03:14 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

I thought I read somewhere that Filmrenew is not safe on plastic and that you should use metal reels to put film on when treating? Is that the case and if so do you risk the guides with long term use?

--------------------
Tony

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 27, 2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FilmRenew will weaken and discolor plastic if you soak film (on plastic reels) in a container filled with the cleaner (for several days, that is)... but if you just run film through a cloth soaked in FilmRenew, using a plastic reel to wind the film up is OK (although I've experienced minor spots of discoloration on some of my reels, but then these were very old reels anyway, and already showing signs of use).

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 28, 2005 05:23 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Tony, Jan's right about soaking. Only use a metal reel when soaking a film in Film Renew. As far as cleaning the film path, I think it's safe because it evaporates fairly quick. I've been using it on my projectors for about four years and haven't noticed any deterioration. This is one of the reasons I made this post. I would like to know if there is a better way to clean film paths. [Smile]

Here's a "how to" link for Film renew: http://members.tripod.com/~Moviecraft/filmclean.html

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) and q-tips for 25 years on the first Elmo ST 1200 I owned, as well as on the other 14 or so projectors I acquired since 1980. They get a thorough going over every few months, depending on usage. (I would never run a film through them with any chance of moist alcohol residue--wait a bit for evaporation.) I also use canned air and a soft brush after every reel that runs through the projectors. As important, with the Super 8 magnetics, I demagnetize the sound heads periodically.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 28, 2005 05:34 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, the soft brush and canned air sound like an excellent idea. I have both and will start using those also. [Cool]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 29, 2005 02:47 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a nifty little soft brush attached to a squeezy baggie kind of thing (what do you call this thing?) - I push and it blows air right through the brush hairs. I have no idea how long I've had it or where/how I got it, but it's proven itself indispensable. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 29, 2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, I think it's called a 'puff 'puff :-) Sounds like a nifty gadget though. [Smile]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 30, 2005 10:41 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a lens blow brush your on. [Wink]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 30, 2005 11:59 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be a lack of agreement here. Would one of my quick, lousy webcam shots help? [Big Grin]

-

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 30, 2005 12:19 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! That's a 'puf 'puf. [Big Grin] where can I get one? [Confused]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 30, 2005 01:02 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come to think of it... way back in Germany, early 1990s, my Mom and I were in this photo shop downtown. They still had some super-8 items that they were more or less clearing out... and there was one huge kit of just about everything for film editing - leaders, tails, animation strips to intercut with your film, antimagnetic precision scissors, lens wipes... and the "puff puff" was part of that kit, I think. I remember that the guy sold that kit to me for maybe $5 back then. [Big Grin]

As for where you can find one like mine... I don't know. Maybe you can find it on eBay looking in the crafts or toys/hobbies listing pages... [Confused]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC