8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eki/Elf NT1

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eki/Elf NT1
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 29, 2005 02:31 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a problem with an NT1 which before a so-called Eki expert got hold of it was fine. He serviced it and for some unknown reason he changed my entire film gat-lens holder assy. Since then when the machine is cold its fine, then when the projector gets war
m after just a couple of hundred feet of film the image image begins to get unsteady in an up and down movement.Within minuites its unwatchable as it just contantly moves up and down, it never loses the loops, just extremly unsteady. He had three goes at it and claims its fine when he tries it. Basicly he did something that balls'd up a good machine. Any clues anyone? I'm not having any luck with my 16mm machines at all. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

John A. Pommon
Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2005 03:20 PM      Profile for John A. Pommon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Verticle jitter generally starts occuring as emulsion & dirt builds up either on the aperture plate or the pressure plate [film shoe]. Eiki machines don't tolerate shrunk or dried out prints . . . a known clean excellent print will tell the truth. Other than electronics, it's difficult to say what warmup can change mechanically in a film path. Have you a second NT1 for comaprison? Check pressure plate springs for sufficient pressure also check for loose or binding inner or outer guide rail alignement. Something has changed after the "expert" worked on it.

--------------------
Antique Video Transfer Service
2" Quadruplex videotape to DV/DVCAM digital transfers
5001 Diamond Hts Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94131-1621
www.antiquevideo.com
antvid@antiquevideo.com

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 30, 2005 03:34 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit to being very suspicious of this bloke who worked on it.
Before he touched it it worked fine and all my films projected well. The only reason i took it to him was because he's on my doorstep and was recommended as a worldwide supplier of all things Eki/Elf. I decided to treat it to the full works service and was bemused when he told me he changed the entire pressure plate assy. I'll take another look and see if i clean a film if it makes a difference. Sometnigs definatly not right with what he did though.
Beware of the Eki dealer in Plymouth UK.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2005 07:10 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, hope you don't mind, I have sent you a private email.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 08:49 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I decided to treat it to the full works service and was bemused when he told me he changed the entire pressure plate assy
I'd be suspicious of the parts he changed and why he changed them. The pressure plate has two springs (the top and bottom are different lengths the bottom being longer) which are in the lens holder. If the plate that holds the rods with the captive springs is misaligned or if the springs are too weak you would have this problem.

As for "warm up", the springs may loose pressure ability as the parts heat up since these are heated by the light source, you final checks need to be made after the projector has been running for about a half an hour.

John

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 01, 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again John. As you say, i am very very suspicious of him changing this item when i had no previous problem.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC