8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Warbly Sound - Need Help!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warbly Sound - Need Help!!!!!
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2007 12:45 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own a B&H 2580. The unit runs like a dream, but for the life of me I cannot determine why the sound is warbly. The film is threaded perfectly and I've cleaned the unit thoroughly TWICE. The picture is rock-steady, but I just can't get the sound to not be warbly. It sounds like someone's blowing bubbles through the speakers. I'm at such a loss. Any suggestions, fellas?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2007 03:56 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,I once had a similar problem with my Elf machine and it was the cover that surrounds the exciter lamp not quite in the right place.I don't know the problem other than this,but it's worth a look,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2007 05:55 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. This is my first posting in this forum, although I have been with big brother, 35mm Film Tech, for a few years, and a cinema projectionist for 48 years.

Warbling sound usually is caused by the lay on roller either having too much , or too little tension.
Too much, and the film is squeezed between the roller and the scanning drum causing drag. (Can also cause scratching).
Too little and the film just slips over the drum.
Try adjusting the lay on roller pressure.
Other causes are the flywheel being loose, or catching on something, like a wire in the back of the machine, or a loose component.
Also lack of lubrication, or dirt on the drum shaft. Is there an oiling point?
Some projectors have a flat spring behind the scanning drum. It is not unknown for these springs, if old, to suffer from metal fatigue, or wear, and loose their tension.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 15, 2007 01:03 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, welcome to the forum.

Brad,
One suggestion is that you go to the manuals section and download the full service manual from there. There is a good trouble shooting guide at the end of the manual.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 08, 2007 09:54 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, did you ever get this problem sorted out?

Oh, and by the way... boo!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC