8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Hand crank bolex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hand crank bolex
Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2007 11:36 PM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here tried hand cranking a bolex?
Cranking using the little backwind crank for double exposures.

im trying to figure how fast i have to crank in order to get a decent exposure.

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2007 03:54 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two hand crank shafts on some (but not all) bolex cameras. Most all have the 8 frame shaft (that would be 3 revolutions per second) and the later Rex cameras have a single frame shaft (which was used for motor drives).

Using the bolex supplied crank, you'll have a bit of difficulty in trying to hand crank the camera. Most professional 35mm hand cranked cameras (like the Bell & Howell 2709) moved half a foot (eight frames) per revolution and the cranks were much larger and gave you more leverage and a wider circle to operate.

You'll have to calculate your own shutter speed based on your cranking ability remembering that the shutter speed was (I think and this is from memory) 1/48 of a second at 24 fps (and you had to adjust it for light loss for the prism if you have a Rex camera).

John

Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2007 12:13 PM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im sorry this took a while. almost too long. But thank you john.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC