8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » PENTAFLEX CAMERAS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PENTAFLEX CAMERAS
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2007 01:06 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of the 16mm Pentaflex cameras? I have an opportunity to acquire one, so would be grateful for any comments, tips, etc.

Many thanks,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2007 03:56 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
The only Pentaflex I remember was a 35mm still camera. Can you post a picture? Perhaps someone rebadged another camera with that name. At one time there was a knock off of the Arriflex which was named "Doiflex" in the US and sold by SOS Photo Cine Optics. Perhaps that's the camera with a different name plate or it might be from one of the Eastern European countries.

John

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2007 06:38 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

Unable to post a picture. Followed the instructions, but it doesn't work for some reason. The image is in 'My Pictures' on my PC. Can you explain in step-by-step details, better than the instructions?

However, it is identical to this one on eBay, item No. 180057030035.

Thanks,

--------------------
Dave.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2007 07:55 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

those are East German cameras. Their quality is rated from good (most judgements) to very good (few judgements). The only thing you should be aware of: Some of those cameras have been used by Eastern Germany's TV-channels' studios. And those cameras are modified to 25fps and 220V-50Hz-AC only. (Not to mention that there are versions with only a spring wound motor as well.)
In any case: A Pentaflex is heavy. Hence you won't be able to operate it without a tripod.

Jörg

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2007 10:32 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joerg and John,

Thanks for the info.

Had to ask Kevin F about uploading images. Thanks, Kev - it worked this time!!

Anyway, this is the camera I am getting. It has 12-volt drive and several different speeds. Hope it will be OK. Any further thoughts, anyone?

-

--------------------
Dave.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2007 03:29 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
When you get it, post a picture with the door open showing the movement. It looks like the magazine is rather small perhaps only taking a 100 lab load since it looks like a displacement mag (the space from the feed roll is take up by the take up side reducing the overall size of the mag.

John

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2007 04:16 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

there are at least two different mags that I know of: 30m (or 100 feet for the British) and 120m (400 feet). This ad shows why the 30m ones are the more common ones - the larger mag was an option:
http://www.marriottcameras.co.uk/advertising/pentaflex16/ad1.htm
Nevertheless I've seen those mags and some zoom lenses for sale on eBay separately. Nevertheless: the smaler mags aren't that much of a problem since e.g. Wittner only sells two different films in 120m while selling five different films in 30m:
http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/04_filmm/16_filmm.php

Jörg

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2007 10:12 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the Marriott ad too. Looks good, doesn't it. Unfortunately, the 16mm Filmtalk Forum has cited several scathing reports about Pentaflex cameras, but at the end of the day (how I hate that expression) the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Anyway, the one I'm getting has had virtually no use at all since new, and has been thoroughly serviced and is guaranteed to work perfectly, so hopefully I should be OK.

I went for this in preference to either a Kinor, Bolex, or Krasnogorsk, because it has all the functions that I want for local nature and wildlife shooting, not least of which are 12-volt electric drive, several different speeds, three Zeiss prime lenses, plus I'm getting a zoom lens to fit as well.

The thing is, you can find both good and bad about anything you care to think of, so it has to be subjective in the final analysis.

I'll certainly post more pics when I get it.

If anyone else has anything more to say, either good or bad, I'd be pleased to hear it. Then, after using it for a bit, I'll be able to report on it myself. After all, if it turns out to be crap, I can always sell it, so it's not the end of the world.

Cheers,

--------------------
Dave.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC