8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell and Howell worm gears

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell worm gears
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2007 05:46 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,does anyone knowabout worm gears on these machines?I have a T Q II 1655 model and the worm gear has cracked,so are they as bad to repair as people say?I have looked at it and it seems a bit more complicated than my Elf models.I'm not sure about the other functions of the machine as it's not running due to the worm.Can you recommend any u.k Bell and Howell parts suppliers thanks in advance Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2007 01:05 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,
I have had many experts tell me that it's a complete tear-down of the machine (several loborious hours) to replace a worm gear. In addition, there's a gear in the lower end of the unit that you cannot see - when this other gear goes - the unit is KAPUT! Apparently, it's this other elusive gear that is not replaceable. There are many people out there that refurb projectors here in the states and sell them at very fair prices. I've been told that sometimes it's better to just keep these things for parts and invest in another unit.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2007 04:08 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About ten years ago I also had a B & H worm gear split, and a repairer quoted me £25.00 for a replacement gear, with £75.00 labour costs. Heaven knows how much they charge today.
Is it worth spending this amount of money on an old projector? Only you can answer that question.

I decided against it, and brought an Elf from a local school for £20.00. Only needed new belts. Had no trouble with it at all, and sold it last year still in good working order.

If you still want to use B & H projectors then do as Brad suggests above. Keep it for spares, and buy another machine.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2007 08:51 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that,exactly the answer i thought i was getting but didn't want to hear HA HA !.I would like to have a go at replacing the worm gear myself so can you still get them and where from?any ideas thanks Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2007 04:29 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To change the gear yourself you might be able to obtain one from http://www.projectorservicesni.com/
I believe that you will also require the aligning tool, but am not certain of this.

Personally I would phone up all the camera repair people who advertise in Yellow Pages.
Some of them must repair 16mm machines.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2007 05:07 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh,i have just e-mailed Projector Services N.I,hopefully they can help regards Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2007 01:09 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wierd! My earlier post on this subject has now gone! Anyway, any B & H projector is repairable (despite previous thread messages) but the TQII was the worst of B & H's range (even admitted by them!). B & H projectors are also the best; kinder and more robust that Elf or any other make.

MARK: I have found a box of spares for the TQII...which spares do you need? This box is the product of stripping down an old machine.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon,the worm gear is the main part at the moment,as haven't had the projector (due to the worm)i don't know what else is needed.The rubber belt could do with replacing but other than this i'm not sure.If i get the worm gear and need anything else i will get in contact,thanks for your replies Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC