8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Help my projector runs a tad slow (what sould the problem be?)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help my projector runs a tad slow (what sould the problem be?)
Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2007 04:26 AM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi guys.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago I bought a new (used) 16mm eiki slimline slot 2 SL-0 projector, but I never got to fully test it, since I had to replace the exicerter lamp and get a new transformer etc...

But today I confirmed as I had noticed before that it runs a bit slow????

I didnīt notice it before because I had no sound and the frames looked smooth without the audio, but now as hear the audio it runs a bit slow and the pitch all of the different films I tested is slow it just sounds a bit sluggish.

What could this be?

1- I tested the output or the new external 220V- 110V 500 watts transformer I bought and it measures around 118 volts, with and AC multimeter so the input voltage seems ok.

2- The belt motor/drive belt looks ok, I checked and in chile we have 50hz and the belt is on the smaller pulley on the drive axis, so I presumed thats ok also,

3- I thought maybe, since its a second hand projector probbly hasīnt been run for 20 or more years the gears might be a bit stiff, I have only run it for an hour tops in 10 minutes intervals (donīt have a full feature yet!) so maybe I think I need to grease it up and let it run for an hour or so non stop to lube it up (could this be it?)

I canīt seem to solve it (what could make the projector run a bit slower?)

help guys,
thanks.

pablo

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2007 06:10 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

just a stupid question: Do you have got a "220V,50Hz -> 110V,50Hz" transformer or one with "220V,50Hz -> 110V,60Hz"?
(Here in Europe the later version is the more common one since it allows the usage of devices made for the USA,...)

Jörg

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2007 06:20 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Pablo

I think that you will find that you have the belt on the wrong pulley.
Silent speed = Small motor pulley/ large shutter pulley.
Sound speed = Large motor pulley/small shutter pulley.

Hugh.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2007 05:56 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the belt is on the smaller pulley on the drive shaft, so I checked and cleaned the motor and everything was ok, the good thing about eiki is that thaey are so easy to disasamble.

So as a last attempt I wrapped tape around the motor pulley to tighten the belt and make the motor pulley a bit bigger about 2mm and alas it worked but the tape only lasted 30mins after that it would slide off.

So the solution of this is either the belt is loose of streched by old age (most probbly) or I need a lager motor pulley dobut it would exist.

Iīll se how to solve this or get a new belt, or wrap something around the pulley to make it a bit bigger (something that will stay on after hours of use.

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2007 06:45 AM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo, "grease" is the solution in your case, in my opinion. There must be a severe lack of lubrication...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 16, 2007 07:01 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
This was also the case on my Eiki RM1. I could hear wow on my machine and I could see the lower loop of film moving back and forth. This was indeed down to grease which had gone quite hard. I cleaned all the cogs etc and re-greased and it now runs fine without the wow etc and sounds quieter.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2007 01:44 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny,

I thought it was because the belt had streched of old age,

since when I wraped tape around the motor pulley to make it a tad bigger and hence the belt tighter it ran fine?

puzzeld

but Iīll grease it up tomorrow, and see what happens.

thanks guys.
pablo.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC