8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2007 09:35 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all I was wondering what they call the 16mm projectors that one can use to transfer films to video these do not have a lens it is all done internally, thanks

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2007 10:26 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

do you mean a specialized telecine-device like this one
http://www.mwa-nova.com/flashtransfer.htm

...or a specialized projector like this one
http://www.cev.fr/TELECINEMA%208~s8~9.5~16/ELMO%20-%20TRV-16%20mm_TELECINEMA%2016%20 MM.htm

...or a modified projector like this one
http://www.moviestuff.tv/16mm_telecine.html

???

Jörg

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2007 12:48 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally they're called "Telecine" projectors. But that term is often used for both fully contained units (like a rank-cintel machine (professional) or an ELMO TRV (semi-professional), or also for non-self contained units which are basically just projectors with a 5-blade shutter modification.

If you're looking for something to buy for your own use, you want an ELMO TRV. They usually sell for anywhere from $2500-$4000 on ebay. The real professional equipment is more expensive, and much bigger...

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that is it thanks guys [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Steve Foulkrod
Junior

- posted November 27, 2007 12:46 PM      Profile for Steve Foulkrod   Email Steve Foulkrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm also interested in transferring 16mm film & have run across a
Elmo 16mm Model 16-cl Optical Sound Movie Projector Modified with a 5 Blade Shutter. I understand this machine is locked into 24fps which should eliminate flicker & provide a good transfer to video/dvd. This is an ebay item priced at $400.00 & is claimed to be throughly cleaned, gone through, bulb replaced & professionally "remanufactured" with a 5 blade shutter.

I'm seriously considering this piece of equipment for my side video post/production biz. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2007 09:08 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
In spite of what you may have been told, besides the five blade shutter, you need a synch motor so the projector is locked to 24 fps and no running on the induction motor which will speed up or slow down depending on the load. Second you need a diffusion heat glass behind the aperature plate. This is necessary for an aerial image transfer which eleminates the screen and/or ground glass and with it reflections and gain. A real Eiki or Elmo or Singer Telecine projector will have all three items, then you'll need to device an aerial image device which consists of a front surface mirror and a lens and then a mount for your camera. Forget about using a tripod, this is an optical device and the projector, lens, mirror and camera must be mounted on a sturdy base. Once set up, it will produce good repeatable results.

There are people that shoot off a screen and others that use a ground glass system. I find the quality lacking since I much prefer the results from a flying spot scanner such as the Rank with scene to scene color correction, buy only you can judge what's acceptable quality for your use. If you plan on taking in outside work, then quality will make or break your business.

John

Steve Foulkrod
Junior

- posted November 28, 2007 08:36 AM      Profile for Steve Foulkrod   Email Steve Foulkrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Thanks for the info. However, I've been running my post biz for about 8 yrs & have been transferring 8mm film to DVD for the last 4 or so. I've always shot/rec off "white-card" with a variable speed projector, video cam/tripod & have generally obtained good results. I use Final Cut Pro to process the films once they are captured which has good image/color correction built in. If anything, the film transfer aspect of my biz has more than doubled in the last 2 yrs, & up until recently, I've had no requests for 16mm. I do have a "vintage" variable speed B&H Filmo 16mm projector which is very cumbersome to work with. Now, the projector I'm thinking of buying - ELMO 16cl Telecine, does it have a built in sync motor? The gentlemen selling it claims it is locked into 24fps.

Steve

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 28, 2007 02:21 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don`t you need 25FPS, I think all Elmo Cls are locked into 24.
Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC