8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Auricon Camera Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Auricon Camera Help!
Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2007 02:22 PM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Helo, lately I have been hearing a lot about Auricon sound on film cameras from here and there and it has been getting me curios to see if I can look around and get one for a reasonable price. But I have heard that the Auricon Cameras originally recorded the sound onto an optical soundtrack but later on many people converted the optical recording system into a magenetic recorder. Well today that really has no use considering that magenetic film is long gone. My question is that can you convert a Auricon that records sound onto a magenetic stip back into an optical sound recorder? If that is possible, could some one describe what would happen, and if it is an expensive thing to do? Or can any one do it? Also, any general information about Auricon cameras that any one would like to shoot out would be much appreciated I don't know much about theese cameras. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2007 06:53 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's much to consider here. Orignally all the Auricon cameras were optical sound and had an optical recording device called a galvonometer which had a method of modulating the light and a light source. These all had outboard amps which were battery operated to drive the tube amp and the lamp in the camera.

Later magnetic sound came out and Auricon modified many cameras to use magnetic sound by installing a magnetic sound head and plugs for a new magnetic sound amp. These were called Filmagnetic amps.

Conversion of a camera that was orignally optical/magnetic would only require removing the magnetic head screw in assembly and replacing it with a another roller assembly that restored the orignal threading position. They you would switch back to your optical recording amp.

Your best bet (and there are some pitfalls coming up) is to find a camera with the optical galvo (there were three different versions: Unilateral, Shuttered Unilateral, and variable density) and the proper amp for the camera and the type of galvo it has.

Then you'll have to either find the proper A & B batteries and the battery for the exposure lamp.

After that you'll have to record and develop exposure tests for the sound track on single perf film since optical sound track exposure is extremely critical for both volume and distortion.

And this won't work with any current color film that I'm aware of. Negative stock can't get a proper exposure and reversal films require a special sound track processing to get a silver sulfite track.

If you have any luck please let us know. I have an Auricon Pro (200 foot camera spool camera) with the proper amp and a shuttered ulilateral track. I haven't found the battery eliminator or built a power supply for the amp to be able to go through it and replace the caps and get it to run. (Most of these 1940's, 50's electronic tube type amps require re-capping or other work to get them back in shape).

John

Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2007 11:19 PM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John, I was wondering how I would be able to find out which type of galvo does an amp have, the same for a optical camera? Im trying to find some on Ebay but most of the sellers don't know much about this so they don't know, is there any easy give away? I'm sure its a hard quesition to ask. Thanks for all of your help.

-Robert

Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2007 11:20 PM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John, I was wondering how I would be able to find out which type of galvo does an amp have, the same for a optical camera? Im trying to find some on Ebay but most of the sellers don't know much about this so they don't know, is there any easy give away? I'm sure its a hard quesition to ask. Thanks for all of your help.

-Robert

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2007 09:28 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the glavo are all marked and the amps have different part numbers. The best is the shuttered area track and those have a little extra bluge on the housing near the lens in the camera where the shutter is placed. The amps (I think from memory) have an "S" in the part number (such as NR-25S). The density units will be marked with V.D. on the camera id plate and will have a different amp as well.

If you can find a complete set then the id plate on the camera will give you the information. You'll usually find the higher cost galvos on the Pro-200, Auricon 600 and Super 1200 cameras. Make sure you get the full set of cables with your camera, finding those old canon connectors along with the proper multiconductor cable can be a hobby all in itself.

After you have the camera, then you need to make friends with a local cine lab because you'll have to run several sound track exposure tests. If you're lucky, they'll process those for you for free or for a low price.

John

Thomas Powys-Keck
Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2009 05:13 PM      Profile for Thomas Powys-Keck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,if you want to know more about the Auricon cameras,why not join our group.There is lots of information to be found,and lots of things for sale.I have three working Auricons,two are magnetic sound,and yes you can buy striped film in this country(UK)and the other is an optical camera.I use 100d reversal film and it works ok.I also use 100d reversal with a seperate sound system,and show the film on my double band projector.Auricon_sound@yahoogroups.com I hope this helps,they really are good cameras.Regards Tom.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC